Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
xano213

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:22 pm

What about the roads around Ambiorix?

I mean Pavia Straat, Boulevard Clovis, Rue JOhn Waterloo Wilson, Eburonenstraat?
I found a studio (ensuite + kitchenette) with 560E. How does that sound?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 pm

xano213 wrote:
What about the roads around Ambiorix?

I mean Pavia Straat, Boulevard Clovis, Rue JOhn Waterloo Wilson, Eburonenstraat?
I found a studio (ensuite + kitchenette) with 560E. How does that sound?

I think this is not Schaerbeek but Bruxelles-Ville (although the frontier between the communes must be really close). As I said in a previous post, I definitely recommend that area as I previously worked there for 6 months - Ambiorix and Square Marie-Louise are really nice and the neighbourhood is quiet (except for the Chaussée de Louvain nearby). Plus you have the best kebab in town (in my point of view) in a nearby street - in Rue Willems!
If you can afford the 560 euros, take it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xano213

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm

hey Frenchie thanx for the answer.

Well, as far as the money is concerned, my question would be: do you think it's overpriced? Or is it a fair price for the area.

I can afford it, but if it's overpriced, I guess I could look for something else too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm

xano213 wrote:
hey Frenchie thanx for the answer.

Well, as far as the money is concerned, my question would be: do you think it's overpriced? Or is it a fair price for the area.

I can afford it, but if it's overpriced, I guess I could look for something else too

Well just have a look at other ads for the same types of studio (immoweb.be for example), and you'll see that you can always find cheaper opportunities elsewhere. But given the area, I think 560 euros is reasonable.
Now the best thing to do would be to visit it and see if you like it and if it's good quality. If you have a horrible and dirty kitchen and a bathroom so small that you have to shower while sitting on your toilet (I'm not kidding, I really visited that kind of studio one day!!), then 560E will be too much, definitely!
Don't be fooled by the pictures and go check the studio yourself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theresia_N

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:21 pm

The place I'm interested in is in Leysstraat, wich is actually not in Shaerbeek I realised but in Brussels on the edge of Etterbeek/Shaerbeek. Very close to the north part of Parc du Cinquantenaire.

It seems quite nice?!

So I am still thinking it might be worth the price to not have to sit for 5 more weeks looking at housing sites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maria.grp

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 am

and what about around eugene Plasky square
i saw a quite nice house round there and i would like to know how is the neighbourhood. any advice? i would really appreciate it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theresia_N

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 am

Seems nice enough http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_Eug%C3%A8ne_Plasky

Hard to tell though if you don't visit but you van ask the person letting it and maybe ask for some references if he had other tenants there before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theresia_N

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 am

Another thing I came to think of. What do you guys who has already done the traineeship (Aeena and others) recommend when it comes to travels.

I can get a normal priced ticket from Sweden and the cost-roof will cover it, and i'm pretty sure the prices for flights will be the same in march next year.

Is it still better to get the return ticket right away? As I read it you get the double price of the one way ticket if you don't hand in a return ticket right away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frenchie

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 am

Maria.grp wrote:
and what about around eugene Plasky square
i saw a quite nice house round there and i would like to know how is the neighbourhood. any advice? i would really appreciate it....

I lived near there and I was really disappointed by the whole neighbourhood near place Dailly, but Plasky square is a bit nicer and quieter from what I remember. On the plus side, you have a HUGE delhaize supermarket 3mins away (and it was quite cheap compared to other delhaize in more "posh" areas). On the minus side you are badly connected to the public transportation, you just have a "pre-metro" (yeah, that's what they call trams that go underground...) at Meiser/Diamant that leads you nowhere, and you have to change at Montgomery to take the metro to go to Schuman or city centre, so not very practical. And you're 20 mins away from Schuman (Commission) by foot.

Theresia_N wrote:
The place I'm interested in is in Leysstraat, wich is actually not in Shaerbeek I realised but in Brussels on the edge of Etterbeek/Shaerbeek. Very close to the north part of Parc du Cinquantenaire. It seems quite nice?!

I don't know the area but it sure seems quiet and isolated! You will need to cross the park by foot to go to schuman which can be very nice in the morning when the sun rises over the arc de triomphe, but can be creepy at night (like every park in europe).
My advice: try to get some info about the Ecole Royale Militaire (military school) because you will live right next to it and maybe it's noisy (unless you like being woken up by trumpets at 5am) but as I said I don't know the area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:57 am

My advice would be to look at the plan of Brussels, Place Luxembourg and search for something not too far from there (draw a circle around the Parliament and search for something in the 1-1,5km range). The further you get the more difficult it will be to get to work and to have access to public transportation.

And be VERY carefull with Schaarbeek and areas of Madou - there are some streets there which are really extremelly dangerous. The same next to Porte de Namur and the African Street - I've already seen some riots and 20 police cars there, fights at night and 2 people got killed there recently - be careful and double check before you get an appartment.
My friend made this mistake, on the map the location looked perfect but when she arrived she was scared to death when she saw the area.

Brussels is not the safest city, so better live somewhere in a safe area - Ixelles, Etterbeek etc. and easily accessible by bus/metro - you don't want to walk through certain areas at night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
epsofun

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Argh I found a few really nice looking houseshares/flatshares online, but the big problem is that everyone requires you to pass by for a visit... I won't be in Belgium before September so I'm wondering how the hell I should solve this dilemma! How do you guys manage to do so??? Thanks for the support...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Has anybody been able to access the stagecommittee housing list? I tried using my candidate number and password, but still cannot access it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Soa

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Callie, you have to use a login and password which is mentioned in the official email from the Traineeship office. The one where they sent placement offer... go to practical information... then housing...
and btw Aneena and all the contributors, thank you for this forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks Soa!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basia

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 am

Hi guys,
First of all thanx to Aneena for this blog, it’s really useful.
And congratulations to all of you who will start the traineeship in October. I’ll be in EAC.
I live in Brussels already for 5 years and I understand your problem with finding the best place to live very well.
I have lived in different areas in the city and can confirm that the European area is very safe (next to Schuman, Merode, Place Jourdan, etc) as well as Ixelles, Etterbeek (which is in the south of Brussels but a bit further from European institutions). Two years ago I lived just next to Square Ambriorix and it’s very nice area. You can come back home safely with no problems after midnight you have shops nearby, bars, restaurants, etc...

From 1st of September I will move to a new apartment on the Rue Rembrandt (which is just next to Parc Cinquentenaire, 7 min walking from EC, night bus just next the corner- check it out on the google map Wink).

The flat is fantastic (110 m) – big living room, big fully equipped kitchen: oven, fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave, everything is there Smile ) two toilettes, bathroom and there is one room left from 1st of October (no more than 400 euro all included- depends on our consomation of course). For now we are one polish girl (me) Turkish boy and hopefully one of you Smile

If you are interested please email me on : bxlhouse@gmail.com and I will provide you with all details

See you soon
Basia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dasamajcen

PostSubject: room prices   Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 am

Hello guys,

I will also be coming to Brussels in October! I hope to meet you soon, Ill be in the Cabinet of Commissioner for Environment.
I would like to ask you your ideas for prices in Brussels - how much will you pay for the rent, so that you still expect to have enough to get you through the month? I was thinking of getting something cheap, for around 300 - 350 euros, but now seems impossible, these places are usually half decent and far...

Do you think would be more successful if I am there in person and not only check rooms via internet? I am not sure whether it would pay off to go there, or to just get a slightly more expensive room now and get it over with - no more worries...

What are you experiences finding place to stay?

Thanks for your help!
Dasha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basia

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Dasha,

Well 300-350 it's quite a low price as for Brussels but I think you can find it in Ixelles living with 2, 3 people or in Saint-Gilles. You can also try in Etterbeek.

Of course you can find this price living near South or Nord Station but I really disadvise you this area. It is dangerous not only in the evening.

I would advise you to see the places in person cause very often the photos don't reflet the reality. So you can make some appointments and then come to Brussels and see everything during few days. In this way you will be sure that you like the flat and the flatmates (which is also important Smile )

Good luck

See you soon

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theresia_N

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi, I just want to ask the ex-stagiaries here when the october traineeship actually ends, since the 28th of February is a monday. Can I assume it will end on the friday before? Good to know when setting a move out date on the lease of the apartment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaia

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:33 pm

I wrote to the Stage Committee a few days ago about start and end dates of the winter stage..they told me there will be a closing cerimony taking place at the end of February..
I guess it won't take place on the very last day.
Btw, they told me the Commission offices will be closed during the following days: 01 and 02 November, 23 December - 02 January (both included).
Ciao!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
geewiz

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi guys,

Me too I'm coming for the internship in October, DG AIDCO, and I'm looking for a nice place to stay in Brussels.

Don't mind sharing a flat with someone else.

24, guy, Portuguese, used to international biz (erasmus, lots of travelling, etc.)

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raymondsg

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Hello there,

I'm doing the winter traineeship within DG RTD and as many people looking for a nice place to stay, would like to share a flat.

I'm a quiet, 25 yo spanish guy by the way.

If anyone has a spare room or is looking for someone to share a flat I'm the one and please write me to

raymondsterlinggaray@gmail.com

Nos vemos!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ginalatrottola

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

I add myself to the list of people looking for mates to share an flat!
I'm italian, 28 and I've already lived in Bxl for few months last year...smth that could come at handy when looking for a place!

I'll be at OLAF, i.e. at tour MADOU..anyone else?

If you look for a mate to share a place, please count on me!

ciao
stefania
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edaco

PostSubject: Anderlecht   Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

I'll be at DG HR, and will stay in Anderlecht near the stadium, astrid park ,metro veeweyde...

I have not so great feedback from Anderlecht, but the real location of the flat seems like a good neighborhood very green... so let's see..

Can somebody tell me if the area is safe and nice to live in it ??

thks all Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Somebody told me that Anderlecht is the Belgian version of Afganistan when it comes to safety, so I never went there.. Maybe think better of something closer to Schuman? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SebastianS

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi there,

I'll be doing my traineeship in DG Trade and would like to share a flat with other stagiaires too. I'm 30 yo polish guy, non-smoking and focused primarily on work and PhD research/writing.

So if you're looking for an easygoing and calm flatmate please write to: sebastian.stepien@coleurope.eu

Cheers,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011   

Back to top Go down

Accomodation Oct. 2010- Feb. 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2