Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

General Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Tralala

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:38 am

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone heard from Ag DG? My first choice was trade, but i read on a previous thread that they have already done some interviews which was disappointing Sad This is so nerve wracking, it's ridiculous!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Therion

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:15 am

Hi Shalimar,

I just got a phone call from Education and Culture DG:) I am very happy but I know it does not mean anything.
It was like an interview, the woman was very kind and nice. Asked about your motivation, practical experience and some avarage question like you`re able to strat from March.

So cross finger to everybody, I hope the best:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:57 am

Esther wrote:
Hi Shalimar,

I just got a phone call from Education and Culture DG:) I am very happy but I know it does not mean anything.
It was like an interview, the woman was very kind and nice. Asked about your motivation, practical experience and some avarage question like you`re able to strat from March.

Thanks for the info... Smile

And for the person that asked for EACEA, they send exactly the same answer on general e-mail like EAC, which means that selection closes on 20th.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
lamazi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:37 pm

Esther wrote:
Hi Shalimar,

Hey Esther,

Sounds promising!

Did they interview you in English and/or French?

Best regards and good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:50 am

Hi everybody,

and congrats to those who have been interviewed! I know, unfortunately it does not mean that you will be chosen, but at least you know that somebody is interested in your profile...

Here still nothing. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything either. I'm just slowly totally freaking out... bounce

Some of the DGs already ended their selection. Anyone heard anything yet? Well, maybe it will still take few days before the Traineeship Office sends out the invitations.

Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Therion

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 am

Hey Esther,

Sounds promising!

Did they interview you in English and/or French?

Best regards and good luck![/quote]

It was in English no French:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Hello all,

Although I did not had a proper interview, I am apparently selected by a Unit where I had sent an email precising my interest for their work.
Therefore, some are currently finishing or already finished their selection but as I said higher here, others seem to do it in January, so don't lose hope and good luck to you all !

If you have an interview, I guess it should be in English, French or German depending on what you wrote in your application form.
Back to top Go down
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi all,

and congrats to frog! May I ask which DG you applied to?

At least (some units of) Relex are sending out personal rejection emails to those that have contacted them. A friend of mine got today a message from one, but not the others she lobbied to.

Which does not necessarily mean anything either. ARGH!

Btw., does anyone have any idea when the traineeship office will be on Christmas holidays? My hubby's DG has theirs 23.12.-2.1., but is the period same for all of the services?

Would be so nice to know, even if it is a negative answer, before Christmas! santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi!

I got a call by EACI yesterday, the told me that they had a deadline for submitting their candidate today. I just thought i'd share it here Smile
Back to top Go down
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:30 pm

When selections at DGs close, do they send at least something to the chosen ones? Or do we all wait until 15-31 Jan. for the T.Office?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:38 pm

XabaCs wrote:
When selections at DGs close, do they send at least something to the chosen ones? Or do we all wait until 15-31 Jan. for the T.Office?

It depends on the DG or the unit, I guess, if they do...

But last year the Traineeship office started sending the acceptance letters already on 21st of December!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Hey all!

I received an official mail from my first choice DG yesterday saying that the units chose their trainees from the VBB and my CV was not selected Sad

Pretty disappointing...I only lobbied there, so I am sure that no one else will pick my application.

Best of luck to everyone!
Magda
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Hello again,

I had applied to Empl who are currently examining the applications and Sanco who said they would do it in January.

As myrskypilvi, I also know that last year the admission/rejection email started being sent around the 20th december

Back to top Go down
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi, I got an mail from the person at the Dg who interviewed me saying I was selected (but not an official selection email yet ). Very very happy:-) I'm not sure if all the DGs have selected their candidates just yet so don't give up hope if you haven't heard from them yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Congratulations to the successful candidates! queen king

Magda and Paulo, could you tell us which DGs are you talking about? Thanks!

Last edited by Shalimar on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Claudia D

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Congratulations Paulo, may I ask which DG was it?

@Frog: Congratulations as well, you know if they closed the selection? Empl was my first choice, I contacted some units there, but no reply Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paulo

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey Shalimar, mine is at Aidco
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanx myrskypilvi & frog. This is somewhat calming news.

Magda, at least you know, right? the "not knowing" is the killer for me... Which DG r u talking about? Did you ask, or they just sent it? Try 2 look up in the FIRST traineeships forum the discussions ab selection...there r some examples of applicants being selected AFTER getting a rejection!(and didn't lobby to the DG)
I have my fingers crossed 4 u Wink

X
Back to top Go down
View user profile
operom

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:27 pm

Paulo wrote:
Hey Shalimar, mine is at Aidco

Paulo, frog congratulations!!! sunny

Paulo I have one question:
in which unit will u be doing your traineeship? I'm asking because on Monday I was also interviewed by AIDCO. My weakness was: AIDCO wasn't listed among my "3 preferred DGs".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi XabaCs & all,

Thanks for the encouragements! My first choice was DG REGIO, which as I mentioned only selects from the VBB... The mail was received from the HR unit and it was a 'forward' of one of my lobbying e-mails. I know that they can change their minds until mid January, but I gave up waiting for THE THING to happen. The first day is very disappointing, but after that you get back on track Very Happy
What are your DG choices?
I have my fingers crossed (actually my fists closed Smile)) for you and all the others!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I have to agree with XabaCs, you don't have to lobby or be interviewed to be selected! There is still hope until the rejection from Traineeship office comes!

...and after that there's even the late selection.

And of course congrats to Paulo!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Congrats 2 Paulo!

Well, in my top 3 I have RELEX, ECFIN and Education...considering that Education is far from my specialization, and RELEX is most hard to get in...I am kinda disappointed with myself 4 the somewhat precipitated choices I made.
To make up my fault, I sent a couple of e-mails to other DGs to...now, its the wait and see game. bounce

The frustrating thing is, timing is so crucial, cuz if I don't get in, at least I can start plan B (applying for a Masters scholarship). By mid/end January, it will be to late to apply at many Universities. If I do get in, well,...I will need an abundance of time to recover from it's celebration party Laughing Laughing (just kidding) ... Seriously, it would be nice to find motivation as soon as possible to start improving my French study .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:05 pm

I see we are all already crazy from all the waiting Very Happy and refreshing of mail/forum/facebook traineeship page (or maybe that`s just me Embarassed )

Anyway...XabaCs, maybe a good thing would be to start applying for other things and next traineeship period...you can always back out if you get good news...

Good luck to everyone again! And to all those who got rejection e-mails, there is still hope that could change Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Franzi86

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Shalimar (Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:05 pm) wrote:
I see we are all already crazy from all the waiting Very Happy and refreshing of mail/forum/facebook traineeship page (or maybe that`s just me Embarassed )
It's not just you Wink I really hope we'll all get an answer before Christmas, not knowing is so unnerving and distracting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EUcitizen

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi all!

Congrats to those who have already been selected. Just as Magda I received an e-mail yesterday saying that my DG of first choice (MARKT) has already made a choice and that I was not selected. It is idd really dissapointing.

I'm just wondering if it would still make sense to try the other DGs since they'd probably also selected their candidates by now..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lazodeuts

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am

Hey everyone! I just wanted to vent a bit and ask for your opinion (and especially that of other German-speakers and French-speakers) on that matter:
Last week I had a phone-interview with my first choice. It went really well, but in the end I just came out second:(
Anyways, since my interview-partner, who would have been my future boss during the stage, was really nice I sent her an email to thank her for the nice interview and her encouraging words when she told me I didn't get the position.
Some hours later she replied and gave me the advice for future rounds to directly apply in English since some people aparrently don't understand German so they would just skip over my application. REALLY? Back this summer when I prepared my application I thought of writing it in English, but since we had the possibility to choose between German, English and French, why would I not make use of my advantage? On the homepage there is no mentioning whatsoever that any of the languages is preferred over the overs! I always assumed that after preselection the units would always have enough people (covering all three working languages) looking over the applications so that all applicants get the same attention!
What's your view on this? Am I the only naive idiot to not apply in English?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:00 am

I would definitely advise that you apply in English. The languages commonly used at the Commission are English and French (I don't know anybody who doesn't have at least a minimal knowledge of the two), however there are only few people who speak German. If the HoU is let's say Bulgarian, the secretary Spanish and there are 6 more people in the unit out of whom noone speaks German (it is not a very popular language in the 2 countries), what would the poor person responsible for the choice do? Go through the files he/she will understand!! It's just a traineeship or JUST a traineeship, nobody will spend too much time and effort on translating the file and finding out whether you also speak other languages.

Of course if the unit is mostly German speaking applying in German would be an advantage, but by doing so you limit yourself to units where German is spoken, and there are really very few of them. You hear much more Italian and Spanish than German at the Commission - of course those are not the official working languages, but this is reality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
malle000

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 am

Hello,

I got an e-mail yesterday from my first choice DG offering me a traineeship in Luxembourg (without having an interview).

I had expected it to be in Brussels if I got a traineeship. Does anybody know how many trainees there are in Luxembourg? Is the environment in Luxembourg as good as in Brussels?

Good luck to all of you!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lazodeuts

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:50 am

@Aneena: I am very much aware that I would mainly speak English and French during a traineeship.
But for the application process the rules say you can apply in either of the three languages. So if it is really true that in the end, after the preselection, only a few of the responsible HR people will take a look at your application, I think it is misleading to even offer to the possibility to apply in German.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 am

Congrats malle!

Someone who already got selected, should start a new topic for this...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   

Back to top Go down

General Topic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next