Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

General Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I totally agree with bea***, there are a lot of good people who do get a rejection. Unfortunately it also depends on your nationality - some like Italian - are more contested than others. They do really put emphasis on your selection of DGs according to your studies & previous experience. The personal motivations do also play a role!

Btw., I got rejected for the October 2010 selection, but got preselected now...

And yes, pre-selection is only the first obstacle, only one in every four preselected candidates will actually get a position!

So how to lobby? Or should you lobby? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so if you are interested in the topic, you can read a lot about it in this forum's part on October 2010 traineeship!

I am not sure if they have managed to send information to all pre-selected at once. It might be, that they really do it by nationalities, so maybe it comes tomorrow? And do check your spam-folder, coz that's where I fished my letter from!!!

And at least for October 2010 they did send a rejection letter to everyone, so I'm sure everybody will be informed personally eventually (although I do understand how it feels to wait for those bad news)!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lucas

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Bulls eye!!! Preselected. Now is the time for selection Wink

Good luck for all of you.

Lu

PS. Minna how about you??? I still keep my figers crossed for you;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi Lu,

congrats!!!

And yes, I got preselected as well! So life got a bit more complicated... Wink

But we are a bit closer to that meeting in Brussels, aren't we?

Well, still have to decide if to lobby or not. And then just wait for the final decision.

And then make up my own mind about the complications...

Minna
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Hello everyone!

Congrats to all preselected candidates! And for those not preselected, don't give up! Try again next time...
I also got preselected and now I am considering lobbying, but I'm not sure if I should only lobby within my first choice DG or to all three of them.
Any info/advice would be great!

Magda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Magda and others!

I'm not really sure either. I guess it depends on what you want & think is useful to you. If your other choices don't feel that right to you, why would you use your precious time on lobbying them?

Or on the other side, if all three feel like good choices & you really want to get the stage, then do all three. Or you could also lobby DGs you didn't even have on your application!

And this doesn't even say that if you would get an offer in January, that it has to be from one of those DGs you've chosen or lobbyed. The offer may come from somewhere else! It is a very peculiar system.

I myself am thinking of lobbying few Units each in two of my chosen DGs. The third one I think is really way too popular anyway...

But I haven't made my mind up yet. Should do it pretty soon, however, there is not much time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Minna & all,

Thanks for the reply! I started to send a couple of e-mails to my first DG option, but no one replied so far. What really worries me is that I recently changed my telephone number, so if they will select me according to my application and try to reach me for an interview, I will not be able to answer...
Anyway, we'll just wait and see what happens....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
damianoos

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Hello everyone! Unfortunately I did not get pre-selected:( I have to say that this was my first time applying to the EU Commission traineeship. I have sent an email requesting my score result so I'll know where to improve. I would like to ask some of you if you could tell me from your own experience especially the question goes to the ppl who did not get pre-selected, but tried another time and got in. What did you do to improve your application, based on your experience from the first failure of being not pre-selected. Did you make "big" changes in your successful application from the previous one? Thank you in advance for any responses which are greatly appreciated!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexte

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:14 am

Hi,

It appears I was pre-selected (for the second tine this year) but I feel so helpless regarding the selection process ahead of me. I've actually just received a reply from the DG Energy, after contacting them, saying that they select their trainees from the Blue Book according to their needs. So ultimately, I should just sit back and hope that my application stands out. This worries me a bit because that's exactly what I did earlier this year, when I was applying for the October 2010 traineeship, and no DG seemed to need my expertise.
I am just wondering whether I should still try lobbying, given the very "dry" response I got to my first proactive attempt to show that I am really interested in working at a specific unit/ DG Sad
I understand that some DGs might be indifferent towards lobbying, but could the HR assistant also hold a grudge for filling their inbox-es unnecessarily?
I would really like to hear your take on this, because I feel that a "sit and wait" strategy is almost never a fruitful one.

Best,

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm

@alexte

My advice would be...go for it. I mean, what do you got to loose besides your time for searching and composing an adequate letter? Just hurry up, since it's been a weak from the pre-selections.

You will fill a lot less stressed out and helpless...at least I am Wink. Even if I won't get selected, I know I did my best and won't feel regret for practically not doing anything.

Cheers,
X
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Here's a vid for motivation Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHrNloS2epk&feature=player_embedded

*if it's me to be only Jack Nicholson, .. hope you'll be Will Sampson Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 am

Dear all,

I just found out that the Commission DGs will make their decisions regarding the candidates until 13th of December, so if anyone is considering lobbying, now would be a good time. Has anyone been contacted via telephone or e-mail so far? I haven't received anything and it worries me a bit.
Best of luck to you all!

Magda
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Magda,

thanks a lot for the info! But where did you get that from?

I haven't heard anything either yet... But maybe we'll just get an offer without being interviewed or anything! Let's believe in that! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda S

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Minna,

I surely hope that will be the case (even though I have my doubts) Smile
I received an automatic response from one of the DGs traineeship addresses telling me that they select via Blue Book and that the selection will end on 13th of December and the candidates will be informed on the 17th of January... So let's keep ur fingers crossed until January...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexte

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

Hello!

First of all, XabaCs, thanks for the encouragement Smile It definitely put me back on my wheels!

Secondly, back to lobbying, if I get it right, some candidates are contacting the DG Units directly, circumventing the HR department in each DG. I've also tried this: having recently participated in a conference, I found the e-mail of one of the heads of unit in the conference list of participants. I tried e-mailing him, but the e-mail bounced back. I tried again contacting another head of unit whose e-mail was posted on a webpage and the same thing happened.

So, my question is: Where does one find the contact details of people working in specific DG Units?

Thanks,

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alexte

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 am

Hi, again!

Regarding my previous post, I've just figured it out and decided to share with those that might have the same question:

The e-mail format of any EC employee is:

firstname.lastname@ec.europa.eu

OR

firstname.lastname1-lastname2@ec.europa.eu

Good luck guys,

Alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Hello everyone! Smile

I am also one of the preselected candidates that decided not to bother very busy people in EC with my lobbying...which with each passing day seems less smart Very Happy we`ll see!

I would like to ask if anyone applied for Human resources and security or EPSO? Any responses? Any experiences with these departments (ex trainees or other forums etc)? Please let me know if you know any information.

Thank you in advance and good luck everybody! Smile

P.S. I am non-EU applicant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:03 pm

No problem Alex Wink
Thanx 4 the info Magda!

So, except 1 person, nobody from this forum got called yet? I find this really strange...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rinna

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Hello, Shalimar Smile

I also applied for the HRS DG and haven't got a response yet. I decided not to lobby as well. So waiting and....well, waiting is the only thing we can do obviously. I hope it's worth it at the end.

Good luck everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you very much for your response...so we`ll wait together!
Maybe we`ll be colleagues one day santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm

I got a call today from DG energy. The guy (nice french accent Wink) told me a bit about the job and asked if I was available ("YES!"). Apparently they have shortlisted a few candidates, and I'll find out in Jan whethere they want me or not. Definitely not a job for anxious/impatient people.....

I did some (hopefully polite) lobbying in the last days, but didnt contact anyone in this unit.
Back to top Go down
Rinna

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Hopefully, Shalimar! Smile

If I get any news (I hope we both do soon), I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenina

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

martina wrote:
I got a call today from DG energy. The guy (nice french accent Wink) told me a bit about the job and asked if I was available ("YES!"). Apparently they have shortlisted a few candidates, and I'll find out in Jan whethere they want me or not. Definitely not a job for anxious/impatient people.....

I did some (hopefully polite) lobbying in the last days, but didnt contact anyone in this unit.

cool for you martina! if you get a call that's supposed to be a good sign Smile at least they found your application interesting! do you have specific knowledge about energy? had you applied for that DG? I'm asking cos a friend of mine last year got selected in a DG she hadn't even considered. I'm wondering if every DG checks all the candidates.. sounds like a huge thing to do
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Yes, i think it was my 2nd choice. I did some specific stuff with renewable energies (which I blabbed about in my application, so that's probably why they found it). But I have a very technical background, so I'm not sure where I stand compared to other applicants....

Best luck to you all!
Back to top Go down
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:51 pm

karenina wrote:

I'm asking cos a friend of mine last year got selected in a DG she hadn't even considered. I'm wondering if every DG checks all the candidates.. sounds like a huge thing to do

Not that I have any real inside knowledge to this, but with some logic I would say that the DGs start with the candidates who have chosen them as their preference, but if they find no-one interesting/suitable there, go on to the other candidates.

Sometimes also some units might have really special projects for which they really need someone with a very specific profile.

So lobbying or not, there may also be an element of luck involved...To be a candidate when a unit needs exactly your skills!

But it is really confusing, some DGs call, some don't. Some react to lobbying by candidates, others don't...

Anyone heard anything from DG Home or Development?

Good luck to everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenina

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 am

I was so stupid to only pick one choice.. I guess I'll get way fewer chances to ever be selected.. s**t !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Franzi86

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

karenina wrote:
I was so stupid to only pick one choice.. I guess I'll get way fewer chances to ever be selected.. s**t !
I only named one DG, too. Maybe it'll be disadvantage, maybe not. The DG I chose was the only one where I could really make a case that it fits in with my profile and I was under the impression that that is an important point in the whole (pre)selection process. That's why I didn't pick another one.
From what I read/heard, there's a lot of people who get chosen by a different DG than they originally picked, so I'm just gonna try and stay optimistic. It's getting more and more difficult every day, though. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Therion

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi,

I was also told that the preselection period is still 14 December. So lobbbyinnnng!!!!!!!!!!Now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tomi

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 pm

God, I don't know what to do. I decided not to lobby but I have a feelin I'm the only one not doing anything about it. :/ Have you really all been lobbying???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shalimar

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:41 pm

tomi wrote:
God, I don't know what to do. I decided not to lobby but I have a feelin I'm the only one not doing anything about it. :/ Have you really all been lobbying???

I am also very confused with lobbying. Question I was thinking lobbying to my second and third choice, does anyone know the address of EPSO. I ve done a lot of research, but I still can t decide who is the right person at that department. I can t write to head of all department! Did you really do it?

Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Franzi86

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 pm

tomi wrote:
I haven't either. I just think that it doesn't seem to matter that much, most people who lobbied and ended up getting an offer seemed to have gotten one for a position they didn't lobby for.
Also, I would be very annoyed if I were working there and people would email me all day. I sincerely hope they have better things to do there than reading CVs all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Topic   

Back to top Go down

General Topic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next