Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Working for the institutions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aneena

PostSubject: Working for the institutions   Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:15 pm

If you're willing to stay in Brussels after your traineeship and you would like to work for the EU institutions the only way to do so is by passing an EPSO competition.

All the useful information can be found on the EPSO website: eu-careers.eu

You can also find all the competitions planned for the next couple of months in the EPSO indicative planning:
http://europa.eu/epso/doc/epso_planning_en.pdf
This document is updated quite often, so it's good to have a look every now and then.

I am also getting many questions concerning the types of work available with the institutions. After your traineeship there are different options:

1. Interimaire. Many stagiaires stay after their traineeship as interimaires - they work via an agency and the work is basically per hour - you are being paid on a weekly basis. The maximum time of such a contract is 6 months (after which you need at least 1 month of break in order to start a new, max. 6 month long contract). Many of the trainees that did the traineeship with me stayed this way, mostly as replacement for officials in maternity leave etc. This option however is only temporary, but it's good to ask around.

2. Agent temporaire. I don't know much about that one - only that you don't need to pass a competition and can get a contract for a couple of years, just on the basis of an interview. But how exactly it works is still a mistery to me, however from what I know it was mainly applied for the new countries that accessed the EU and a lot of staff from those countries was needed very urgently. Now, apparently TA is not such a common contract, but if you know more about that pls let me know Smile

3. Contract staff - CAST. In order to get this kind of contract (1 year prolonged for the additional 2 years - hence 3 years maximum, it CAN't be extended) you need to pass a CAST exam. This exam is much easier than the one for permanent positions, so it's good to try, especially before you start your traineeship - many of the trainees found jobs during the traineeship and afterwards stayed for 3 years with the Commission. The are 4 function groups: FG I, FG II, FG III, FG IV. FG I is for the most basic jobs, I don't know much about this one, FG II is secretaries/assistants, FG III officers, FG IV is comparable to administrators competition.

Permanent staff:
4. Assistant - there are also assistant competitions once a year for permanent staff, at the moment there is one ongoing (go to the website to find out about it). Basically you need working experience in the given field (at least 3 years, but it depends on the particular competition).

5. Translators/interpreters - the competitions should also take place once a year.

6. Administrators - the most wanted job - in the last round there were around 37000 candidates for EPA and 100 places, so don't overestimate your chances Smile Of course if you have excellent results in the abstract, verbal and numerical reasoning test you might be the lucky one to get invited to the assessment center, but I only met 1 person who managed that and know MANY who tried. There are also different fields, the European Public Administration (EPA), law, economy etc. for some it's easier to get in (last time the lowest threshold was for audit).

* Many trainees stay after the traineeship as stagiaires atypiques - not paid. If you are planning to stay in Brussels after the traineeship it might be a good option for the start. It is not that difficult to prolong the traineeship, at least after my stage many trainees prolonged their stay by a couple of weeks/months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edu

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 am

Do you know what is the avreage salary of a Interimaire at the EU? Is it easy to stay as one?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 am

It is not easy, however in my DG some 50% of the people managed to stay this way. I would say they earned something around 2500 Euros, but it's a very rough estimate, I don't know exactly Smile
However my DG was very small so 50% means something like 3-4 Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tournesol

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Hey Aneena,

may I ask you in which DG you did an internship? And when I understand you correctly, you got a job after your traineeship?

Thanks for your help and for keeping this forum working Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lamazi

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

Aneena wrote:
If you're willing to stay in Brussels after your traineeship and you would like to work for the EU institutions the only way to do so is by passing an EPSO competition.

All the useful information can be found on the EPSO website: eu-careers.eu

You can also find all the competitions planned for the next couple of months in the EPSO indicative planning:
http://europa.eu/epso/doc/epso_planning_en.pdf
This document is updated quite often, so it's good to have a look every now and then.

I am also getting many questions concerning the types of work available with the institutions. After your traineeship there are different options:

1. Interimaire. Many stagiaires stay after their traineeship as interimaires - they work via an agency and the work is basically per hour - you are being paid on a weekly basis. The maximum time of such a contract is 6 months (after which you need at least 1 month of break in order to start a new, max. 6 month long contract). Many of the trainees that did the traineeship with me stayed this way, mostly as replacement for officials in maternity leave etc. This option however is only temporary, but it's good to ask around.

2. Agent temporaire. I don't know much about that one - only that you don't need to pass a competition and can get a contract for a couple of years, just on the basis of an interview. But how exactly it works is still a mistery to me, however from what I know it was mainly applied for the new countries that accessed the EU and a lot of staff from those countries was needed very urgently. Now, apparently TA is not such a common contract, but if you know more about that pls let me know Smile

3. Contract staff - CAST. In order to get this kind of contract (1 year prolonged for the additional 2 years - hence 3 years maximum, it CAN't be extended) you need to pass a CAST exam. This exam is much easier than the one for permanent positions, so it's good to try, especially before you start your traineeship - many of the trainees found jobs during the traineeship and afterwards stayed for 3 years with the Commission. The are 4 function groups: FG I, FG II, FG III, FG IV. FG I is for the most basic jobs, I don't know much about this one, FG II is secretaries/assistants, FG III officers, FG IV is comparable to administrators competition.

Permanent staff:
4. Assistant - there are also assistant competitions once a year for permanent staff, at the moment there is one ongoing (go to the website to find out about it). Basically you need working experience in the given field (at least 3 years, but it depends on the particular competition).

5. Translators/interpreters - the competitions should also take place once a year.

6. Administrators - the most wanted job - in the last round there were around 37000 candidates for EPA and 100 places, so don't overestimate your chances Smile Of course if you have excellent results in the abstract, verbal and numerical reasoning test you might be the lucky one to get invited to the assessment center, but I only met 1 person who managed that and know MANY who tried. There are also different fields, the European Public Administration (EPA), law, economy etc. for some it's easier to get in (last time the lowest threshold was for audit).

* Many trainees stay after the traineeship as stagiaires atypiques - not paid. If you are planning to stay in Brussels after the traineeship it might be a good option for the start. It is not that difficult to prolong the traineeship, at least after my stage many trainees prolonged their stay by a couple of weeks/months.

Thank you so much, Aneena, for your helpful information!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
betty787

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Can you tell me about the kind of work interimaires do? I heard it was mainly secretarial - is that true, or is there also work at "Administrator" level available?

Would the CAST Relex database not be used instead, to fill maternity leave cover positions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working for the institutions   

Back to top Go down

Working for the institutions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1