Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

unpaid leave from current job

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EuroSP

PostSubject: unpaid leave from current job   Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello all,

I'm currently working in Spain and I'd like know if in case of being selected for the traineeship I could get an unpaid leave and come back to my post after the 5 month period. I have looked it up on the collective agreement in my company and although I haven't found anything that would allow it in normal conditions I was wondering whether as it's a traineeship in a governmental institution there may be special conditions.

Thank you for your comments!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hendy

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Hello!
You have to ask your current boss about that...
In my case, this is exactly what I'm going to do, but it depends on your company's policies.
I don't think anyone in the forum can help you Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EuroSP

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Thank you Hendy,

The truth is that although I see this as a great opportunity I’m also a bit afraid of losing my job, especially taking into account the economic disaster here in Spain, with such high unemployment rate...

Now this would be a different topic but does anyone know if an ex-trainee has any advantage to pass an open competition for a post related to the one that he or she has been performing? I’ve read one of the objectives of the traineeship stating that they intend to create a pool of better prepared people to collaborate, but what does it really mean?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm

No, as a former trainee you don't get any special advantage, apart from the fact that you know the working environment, you meet many people, have a chance to exchange ideas with other trainees, can understand better the selection procedures thanks to the fact that you are here. But you don't get any special advantage, just need to sit the computer test well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hendy

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:21 pm

The best course of action will be to apply and if you get approved to talk with your current boss about letting you go for 5 months. Explain that this will be a great experience and it will make you a better employee, and things like that.

Of course, if you are completely satisfied with your current job, there is no need to risk it because of the traineeship. As Aneena said, you don't get anything more than the traineeship. You might end up on a position in the Commission, but it takes a lot of time and nobody can promise you such thing.

I will do the traineeship with hope that it will help me find a better job than my current one... there is always a risk, but I wouldn't miss such opportunity.

Apply first, get selected and then worry about everything else. Much can change in those 6 months anyway...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magic

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 am

I agree...there is a saying "what a difference a day made"...not to mention half a year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EuroSP

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you for your comments!
I've already applied and as you say I will worry if I get accepted.
By the way does anyone know about any success story of someone that after the traineeship has been able to get a better job or to pass an open competition?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:19 pm

I passed a CAST competition just as many other trainees from the last years, so many former stagiaires work at the Commission now.
I know of 1 person who passed the AD exam and got invited to the Assessment Center, the results should be out today, so maybe with a bit of luck it will be the first example of a real success story Smile
However doing the traineeship will not help you in any respect with passing the new cbt EPSO test, it's just an IQ test and has nothing to do with your experience or skills.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: unpaid leave from current job   

Back to top Go down

unpaid leave from current job
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1