Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AymericDb

PostSubject: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been preselected for the October 2011 traineeship, but I've just been offered funding to continue my research for another year (I'm currently studying for a master's degree), so I wouldn't be able to do a traineeship until October 2012.

I really want to do a traineeship, so I'm trying to figure out what to do now so that I have the best chance of getting one next year. Should I:

1) Just withdraw my application now without an explanation
2) Write to the pre-selection committee, explain to them the situation and say that I'm withdrawing but I will apply again next year
3) Write to my preferred units, explain to them the situation and say that I'm withdrawing but I will apply again next year
4) Lobby my preferred units, wait to see if they offer me a traineeship and if they do, thank them, explain that I can't accept anymore and ask if they will take me next year instead

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krista

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm

That I know of, they won't save you a spot for next year or any such thing. You will have to re-apply again for the October 2012 traineeship, and hope for the best.

If you were pre-selected, just email the Desk that emailed you telling you that you were pre-selected. Inform them that you won't be able to do the traineeship this year (if you want to explain why, that is up to you) and ask them to take you off the BlueBook. I think that's the nicest thing to do. But if you want to wait and see if a unit selects you, and then decline the offer, then that is up to you.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:47 pm

If a unit selects you and then you refuse you will get very bad reputation for the future, because then the unit will very urgently need to recruit a new trainee or will not have a stagiaire at all. So the smartest thing to do is as Carla said - to contact the traineeships office, tell them you're no longer interested and reapply next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perpetum

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:39 am

Hey guys, I don´t know, why you should have to have a bad reputation? They have many applicants and even not everybody they contact for an interview is selected. Well this happened right now to me, I was contacted by the Pub. office, they offered me the traineeship, but I am not about to do it (found a good job meanwhile). I think this can even help you, if you decide to apply for some next period, to say, thay you already have been selected once. I guess we are people and there are always many reasons why one can´t go for 5 months to Bruxelles. Of course, you should react and explain your decision.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 am

Yes, but if they call you and you say you're interested, many units just put you on the list which is sent to the Human Resources and then processed. Then you receive your contract and if you don't sign it the unit has the trouble to find quickly somebody else. If you refuse then they might get a trainee much later or not get one at all.

The telephone interview is mainly in order to check your availability, if on the phone you say you're available and then change your mind, I, personally, as a Head of Unit wouldn't choose you the next time. But this is just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perpetum

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:33 am

Yes, you are absolutely right, but we talk (as far as I understood it) about something different. The preselection is done before the units get the list of candidates, first then they check the availability. If they do so and you apologize and state some reasons, I think, they just contact next candidate and even (it is only my opinion, maybe I am wrong) if you apply next time, it can help you to state, that you already have been chosen once. It doesn´t look like a problem to me, it is a normal procedure also if you are looking for a job (and once you find one, you also don´t call everywhere and say don´t select me, I am not available any more, cause nobody tells you you will be selected:-). But yes, if you confirm your availability and then you refuse, it is not nice and you can expect a proper reaction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year   

Back to top Go down

Question: Preselected but can't do a traineeship this year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1