Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lobbying - answers from the DGs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
alice

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Did anyone lobby or hear from BEPA?
This waiting is killing me Sad

Good luck to everyone
Alice
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I got a call from DG DEVCO asking me if I could tell them whether DEVCO was my first or second choice -which is a make or brake for that particular Unit.
However, I lost my USB stick with the saved application form and I frankly cannot remember whether DEVCO or ECHO was my first choice, so I asked her to get back to me tomorrow (when my chances might as well be blown, goes without saying).
Does anyone know of how to retrieve this information? Since I'm Italian, I contacted the responsible for Italian trainees at the traineeship office to ask her some help on this. she'll hopefully help me work this out.
Anyone knows who else I could/should contact or what else I could possibly do?

I am really surprised/annoyed to know that such an important information is NOT in the bluebook that DGs look at..I mean, it is possibly one of the most important bits of the application form, and they don't even bother mentioning in the BB (as in 'bloody book' from now on)...ggrrrrr..

cheers and good luck to you all

Nic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fank

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm

why you just didn't say I think it was first?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 pm

that's roughly what I said. But then she asked me if I was sure and to be honest I am not sure, and didn't want to get in trouble by lying, since the truth would have come up at some point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

How strange. Does anyone know if they even have your top three preferences at all in the Blue Book (even if unranked)?
If not, that would explain why people in this forum seem to keep getting calls from departments that weren't their preference...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

(p.s. although EcFin WAS in my top 3, just to be clear)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:14 pm

well it seems as though they have the names of preferred DGs but unranked. I say so because she started out by saying ''I saw you applied for an internship at DEVCO..''.
So not as disorganised as some people think, but still...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmm

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:16 pm

guys, in the automatic reply I got from DG EAC they say:
"The Directorate-General takes into account your motivation and is in favor of candidates who choose Education and Culture as their first preference"
So I believe they DO see which are your preferences. Maybe that person was making so many phone calls that (s)he forgot about ur specific preferences or maybe (s)he was trying to test your motivation? ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Teebs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:19 pm

rmm wrote:
So I believe they DO see which are your preferences. Maybe that person was making so many phone calls that (s)he forgot about ur specific preferences or maybe (s)he was trying to test your motivation? ...

Maybe she wanted to see how fast she could talk herself out of an awkward situation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:22 pm

right..might as well be the case that she had so many applicants that she couldn't be bothered going through each one's DG ranking...though I thought at this stage each Unit would have no more than a dozen shorlisted applicants, in which case it's not that time consuming to go through every single application..
N
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:38 pm

ok the responsible for Italian trainees has just sent me my application form (in which DEVCO is listed as 2nd), I'm impressed.

Other info for everyone's future reference: I was contacted on a phone number that was not on the application form, but only in the lobbying email. So fingers crossed those who lobbied..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lalla

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Rachel wrote:
Thanks Karla, that's really helpful.

Did anyone hear from DG DevCo (Europeaid) yet?

And DG EcFin?

hay Rachel, can I ask you which was the unit from Dg ECFIN that contacted you? (I got a call from unit B.4 the other day)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm

It was Directorate G. Fingers crossed for both of us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:29 pm

anna17 wrote:
I'm a MEDIA programme "fan" and my experience and background refer mostly to audiovisual/cinema and less to other sectors or DG EAC...any advice on my situation?
Many thanks and lots of luck to everyone.
Anna

Same here! I applied very specifically to the MEDIA programme and the MEDIA-related units are the only ones I lobbied to.

Yet I have not heard anything from them Sad

I did get contacted by another DG though, so they may have 'reserved' me. Just as others have already said here, I wonder if that prevents other units from contacting me.
Back to top Go down
rmm

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Which DG has contacted u? I'm starting to worry cause I missed their call on Friday and they haven't called back. but I think that few units of DG EAC have already started their selection process so maybe we still have time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lalla

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Rachel wrote:
It was Directorate G. Fingers crossed for both of us!
Sure!! Hope so much to see you in bxl Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anna17

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm

What I know is that Unit D3 will not take any trainee for the October session...
So, hope for the rest!Including EACEA...:-)
No news yet unfortunately, maybe DG EAC is slower in selection!
Do you know maybe how many trainees are per Unit?
Hope to see you all in Brussels in autumn
Anna

Wouter wrote:
anna17 wrote:
I'm a MEDIA programme "fan" and my experience and background refer mostly to audiovisual/cinema and less to other sectors or DG EAC...any advice on my situation?
Many thanks and lots of luck to everyone.
Anna

Same here! I applied very specifically to the MEDIA programme and the MEDIA-related units are the only ones I lobbied to.

Yet I have not heard anything from them Sad

I did get contacted by another DG though, so they may have 'reserved' me. Just as others have already said here, I wonder if that prevents other units from contacting me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Nic85, can I ask which unit at DevCO called you?

I got an email reply from A/1, no vacancies this October apparently Sad

nic85 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I got a call from DG DEVCO asking me if I could tell them whether DEVCO was my first or second choice -which is a make or brake for that particular Unit.
However, I lost my USB stick with the saved application form and I frankly cannot remember whether DEVCO or ECHO was my first choice, so I asked her to get back to me tomorrow (when my chances might as well be blown, goes without saying).
Does anyone know of how to retrieve this information? Since I'm Italian, I contacted the responsible for Italian trainees at the traineeship office to ask her some help on this. she'll hopefully help me work this out.

I am really surprised/annoyed to know that such an important information is NOT in the bluebook that DGs look at..I mean, it is possibly one of the most important bits of the application form, and they don't even bother mentioning in the BB (as in 'bloody book' from now on)...ggrrrrr..

Nic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Rachel wrote:
Nic85, can I ask which unit at DevCO called you?

I got an email reply from A/1, no vacancies this October apparently Sad

nic85 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Nic

Hey, sure I can. It was A.3. they said they had 'hundreds' of lobbying emails (?!) and will only prioritise those who ranked DEVCO as first -too bad, since they said my profile would particularly suit that Unit. Thanks for sharing the info on A.1 anyway.
Nicola
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey Rachel and Nic...I was aware about A1 too..
But A3 isn't Coherence of EU Policies for Development, EU Aid Effectiveness?
How come there are so many people interested in that unit's activity?
Have you two a background in EU Dev. policies/aid effectiveness as well?

Thanks

Steven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:39 pm

hey, I did my Master's dissertation on PCD and the EU sugar and banana regimes -though defo didn't look at policy effectiveness. I have no idea how come (IF that is the case and she wasn't bluffing for whatever reason) so many people are interested -though PCD seems to be increasingly fashionable.
Any other info to share on Units not accepting trainees?
Cheers,
Nicola
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Well, then you are definitely entitled to claim a traineeship in that unit Smile I am sorry but I don't know of any other units like A1...Most of my e-mails got unanswered and I haven't got a single call Sad
Probably I lobbied too late (I started on the 14th in the morning...but I sent most e-mails on the 15th)

Fingers crossed...

S.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm

dgs wrote:
Well, then you are definitely entitled to claim a traineeship in that unit Smile I am sorry but I don't know of any other units like A1...Most of my e-mails got unanswered and I haven't got a single call Sad
Probably I lobbied too late (I started on the 14th in the morning...but I sent most e-mails on the 15th)

Fingers crossed...

S.
that was not too late, I reckon... Good luck !
N
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Btw where did you study PCD if I can ask?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunny88

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey, did anyone got call or email from DG MARKT? It was my first choice and I lobbied there but no reply at all Sad
I wonder do they have interviews as well.
Or from DG INFOSOC?
I also lobbied to DG that was not even listed in my application and don't know what to expect now, since you all write that they prefer people who listed them as first choice.
Getting a bit disappointed..... Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nic85

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 pm

dgs wrote:
Btw where did you study PCD if I can ask?
it's not like I studied PCD during the programme, I just happened to be interested in the EU banana trade regime and PCD was an interesting lens through which analyse some recent developments. It was in Maastricht, a couple of years ago. Really, I just spent a couple of months on it, but I figured it was worth mentioning in this particular application.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 pm

@ Nic
I sent you a PM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unicorndeer

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:48 am

hello lobbyers!

anyone heard from the EAC? aside from the general response that they send out?

getting a bit nervous here, do we all share the same feeling? Wink

anyway, i think it would be very nice if we all see each other in brussels on october! Smile we'll throw a big party to compensate for all the stress we've been through in the application process. hihi

good luck to everyone!

cheers!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pingouin

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 am

Hi unicorndeer!

Like you I'm nervous. I haven't received any calls nor emails from the DG EAC apart from the automatic one (I got it twice: the first one from the adress mentioned in the preselection-mail and the second directly from Unit A5).

Perhaps they wait till the last moment or just don't call.

Good luck to all of you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 am

Hello everybody,

am I correct in assuming that if a unit selects me and 'reserves' me in the VBB, I wouldn't be informed about this before? So I will only know if I am selected or not at the end of the month? Or can a unit write me an 'informal' offer before, asking me if I am still interested?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying - answers from the DGs   

Back to top Go down

Lobbying - answers from the DGs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next