Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Worried because I did not lobby.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Myriam

PostSubject: Worried because I did not lobby.   Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi everybody,

I was preselected. Since I got the confirmation email, I did not think too much about lobbying, mostly because I had exams until now.Is it too late if I lobby in the next days? I had a look on the forum and I noticed that most already sent their emails ( then what chance do I have? - the heads of units must bored or annoyed by now) or even calls.
Do you think that most of the DGs already decided on the trainees they want to have? I did not get any call or email. I would love to do the traineeship at the Home Affairs DG especially because I have a degree from a top uni that is exactly on the issues that this department focuses.I feel so stupid that I did not think of lobbying before...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jankoc

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Myriam,

Don't worry, according to the response I received from the Home Affairs DG (see below), they select their trainees in the upcoming weeks based on the VBB. So I guess there is no need for lobbying there. Good luck!

Janka

"Dear Madam, dear Sir,
We thank you for your interest in a traineeship in Directorates-General Home Affairs and Justice of the European Commission for the October 2011 session.

All relevant information such as your educational and professional background are included in the "Virtual Blue Book" (VBB), a database with all preselected candidates. The VBB is accessible to all Commission services and will be consulted by staff members responsible for the selection of trainees.

The selection process is ongoing and the Traineeships Office will inform all candidates about the results by mid-July (see also http://ec.europa.eu/stages/information/selection_en.htm).

We wish you success in your search.
Best regards,
HOME-JUST STAGES"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Hi,

almost ALL of the current DG Home and Justice stagiaires lobbied. But not all of them were interviewed during the selection procedure. Just for your info.....

But I know that at least one of the Units already picked their stagiaire from the VBB. But it is still not too late: not necessarily everyone chose their candidates yet, or maybe the chosen ones are not interested anymore etc.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:01 pm

jankoc wrote:
Hi Myriam,

Don't worry, according to the response I received from the Home Affairs DG (see below), they select their trainees in the upcoming weeks based on the VBB. So I guess there is no need for lobbying there. Good luck!

Janka

"Dear Madam, dear Sir,
We thank you for your interest in a traineeship in Directorates-General Home Affairs and Justice of the European Commission for the October 2011 session.

All relevant information such as your educational and professional background are included in the "Virtual Blue Book" (VBB), a database with all preselected candidates. The VBB is accessible to all Commission services and will be consulted by staff members responsible for the selection of trainees.

The selection process is ongoing and the Traineeships Office will inform all candidates about the results by mid-July (see also http://ec.europa.eu/stages/information/selection_en.htm).

We wish you success in your search.
Best regards,
HOME-JUST STAGES"

This is an email from the Human Resources and they don't choose the trainees. Yes, officially they are using the Blue Book but in fact it's mostly about people who apply directly to the units. Why going to the database of 2000 possibly not interested people when you can choose among 20 CVs of applicants really interested in the job??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Aneena, do you know if applications in the blue book are 'scored'? I mean, does the number of points given to an application during the pre-selection stage count when they actually go through the blue book? And also, do you think that omitting the candidate no. in the mail that I sent means they will not find me easily in the blue book?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I don't think the points are in the Blue Book and I also think that they can find you with your name only. So no worries Smile
I guess the Blue Book works the same as the Epso reserve lists, so it's rather sure that it's like that Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks. I am relieved! Just one more Q. I know someone that works at the EC...not my best friend for sure, we just have a friend in common. Do you think he can access the VBB and tell me what my status is?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ntky

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Dear Aneena,

First of all I would like to express my gratitude for the creation of this really useful forum. However, I do believe that some opinions expressed in this forum should not be so absolute! It is the first time I apply for a traineeship and I’ve been preselected! I have not lobbied, even though by reading this forum I was seriously considering it. However, from the first day of the announcement of the results I have been contacted by 4 DGs for interviews.

All I want to say is that the Commission cannot act so irresponsible by ignoring the procedures and not giving attention to the VBB. Or at least this is what I believe (my personal experience proves this). Moreover, I consider that working as a trainee in the EC is a great opportunity but we shouldn't exaggerate making this bigger that what it originally is.

Finally, for all those that have not been contacted or even not been preselected, this does not mean anything. Maybe this whole procedure is been based on meritocratic procedures, maybe on luck or maybe on the sympathy of an employee to a lobbing email he receives. In my case and until now, the first two components were sufficient.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Come on, leave something for others, won't you? Just kidding, congrats on your 4 calls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 am

VBB is only accessible to a very limited number of people with a password, I don't have access and I don't think your friend will.

dgs: It's nice you got 4 phonecalls, the same happened to my friend, but she has a very special, rare and needed profile (audit). Most people with general backgrounds like political sciences, economy or law with little experience and not much to distinguish them from the others must do something to make sure they are noticed. Because 90% of people here are around 25, with one of the degrees I listed (often 2 Masters), speak 4 languages, have 1-2 first work experiences. If you put those criteria into VBB I am sure that you would get hundreds of candidates. But if you put in audit you maybe get 20, this is why they get so many phonecalls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 am

myrskypilvi- I was interested by your comment here- do you mean you know of stagiaires who just got sent an offer, with no preliminary call or interview? Or did they receive a call to check they were still interested, just no formal interview?

I thought there was no chance of receiving an offer from a unit unless they called or emailed you first, as they wouldn't make an offer to someone without first checking that the candidate was still available and interested. But if I understand you correctly, there IS still a small hope of receiving an offer in the next few weeks even from a unit that didn't call...?!

myrskypilvi wrote:
Hi,

almost ALL of the current DG Home and Justice stagiaires lobbied. But not all of them were interviewed during the selection procedure. Just for your info.....

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rima

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 am

There's still a hope if you do not get contacted ;] Some people in the previous years got accepted without any interviews. Some even got accepted after receiving an e-mail that they were not chosen by any DG, since other candidates refused the offers. However, I think there are very few of those "lucky" ones...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Myriam

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:12 pm

jankoc,

I did not receive such an answer from DG Home Affairs. I honestly do not know where you have the email from... hope it's not meant to divert the attention of other potential "lobbysts" ( but I guess the experiences of people who posted must be taken with a pinch of salt, I guess really depends on the case).

Thanks everyone for posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mcpr20

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Myriam,

I received word for word the same response as Jankoc did when contacting the DG Home Affairs. Maybe you sent e-mails to units rather than the general DG e-mail that they give you with the pre-selection e-mail. This might explain the answer you received. Could you actually be a bit more precise about said answer please?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jankoc

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Myriam wrote:
jankoc,

I did not receive such an answer from DG Home Affairs. I honestly do not know where you have the email from... hope it's not meant to divert the attention of other potential "lobbysts" ( but I guess the experiences of people who posted must be taken with a pinch of salt, I guess really depends on the case).

Thanks everyone for posting.

Dear Myriam,

I just wanted to help you by letting you know what I have received. I thought that Home DG works the same as EAC for instance (so is not in favour of lobbying). Of course I didn’t want to “divert the attention of other potential <lobbysts>”: everyone is free to act as they want. I wish you good luck!

Janka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Myriam

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:39 pm

Sorry - I did not notice you were talking about another department. That is why I was so surprised that we got different answers.

This is so confusing, I guess there are very different practices across the Commission's departments.

Good luck .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmm

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:32 pm

jankoc wrote:

I just wanted to help you by letting you know what I have received. I thought that Home DG works the same as EAC for instance (so is not in favour of lobbying). Of course I didn’t want to “divert the attention of other potential <lobbysts>”: everyone is free to act as they want. I wish you good luck!

Janka

sorry but are u saying that EAC is against lobbying?! why is that and how did u find it out? thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jankoc

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:59 pm

rmm wrote:
jankoc wrote:

Janka

sorry but are u saying that EAC is against lobbying?! why is that and how did u find it out? thanks

Hi,

I referred to the reply received from EAC:

"Dear preselected candidate,

I thank you for the interest that you have shown in the Directorate-General for Education and Culture (DG EAC).

It is not necessary to send your cv again to DG EAC since all the relevant information you mentioned in your application form figures in the "Virtual Blue Book" and is available to the people responsible for the trainee's selection (except all personal details).

The Directorate-General takes into account your motivation and is in favor of candidates who choose Education and Culture as their first preference.

In agreement with the Traineeships Office's policy and in order to respect equal treatment of candidates, the Directorate-General endeavours not to invite you to Brussels and prefers to carry out any interviews by telephone. Please note that those interviews are not compulsory which means that you might be contacted or not.

Final selection will be closed on Wednesday 29 June 2011 and at this stage, no traineeship may be guaranteed. If you are selected by the Directorate-General for Education and Culture, the Traineeships Office will inform you by e-mail and then send you a trainee placement offer as from Thursday 30 June 2011.

Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise, provided you are still eligible. You must, however, make a fresh application. This should be done on-line following the guidelines on the Traineeships Office website at http://ec.europa.eu/comm/stages."

I hope this helps:) Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what happens if more than one unit or DG shortlists/selects you? I had a couple of calls now, and it seems like quite a few people in this forum did...

I'm wondering how the units and DGs co-ordinate amongst themselves if the have the same person on their shortlists. Do they take our stated preferences of DG/subject area into account? Or just sort it out by internal agreement? Or indeed might both make offers and then see which one the candidate accepts (can more than one unit make you an offer, or does the Blue Book "flagging" system prevent that from happening? And is the "flagging" system open yet this week?)?

It would be good to know what to expect on this!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

If somebody likes your profile, they flag you in the system and then you're profile is blocked. If somebody else badly wants to take you they can contact this unit and politely ask them to unblock (unflag) you, or they just take another candidate, since usually they have a couple of people selected.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FG85

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:51 pm

Can multiple units flag you, or just one at a time? I talked to one of the DG's stage coordinators and they said that the VBB opens up at some point and then everyone ticks the applicants they want as a trainee. Sounded a little weird, but I guess she wasn't lying...

The flagging sounds more plausible though.. Where did you get your information?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Rachel wrote:
myrskypilvi- I was interested by your comment here- do you mean you know of stagiaires who just got sent an offer, with no preliminary call or interview? Or did they receive a call to check they were still interested, just no formal interview?

I thought there was no chance of receiving an offer from a unit unless they called or emailed you first, as they wouldn't make an offer to someone without first checking that the candidate was still available and interested. But if I understand you correctly, there IS still a small hope of receiving an offer in the next few weeks even from a unit that didn't call...?!

Indeed I know some stagiaires who got selected without any offer, preliminary call or interview. And without lobbying. Including myself. But I am one of those whose profile stood out from the VBB for exactly my unit's work, and I guess that's why I got lucky.

And to all others: the way each DG, even each Unit selects their stagiaires varies tremendously. Some use formal interviews, some just check the availability/interest, some want to search for themselves in the VBB for a candidate that stands out, others select only from those who lobbied (in some cases even if the DGs general email might said that it is discouraged). It unfortunately is really a very opaque system.

But, now based on my experience in the Commission: even if I still am really thankful having the opportunity and knowing this from my own experience, at the end I must say that this is just a traineeship, just five months out of a long life. Even if it makes a very nice addition to your CV, it will most probably not be the one thing changing the course of your life.

I think you will notice what I mean, if you get in yourself... Just as encouragement for all those, who won't. You will find your destination in another way, believe me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgs

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 am

myrskypilvi I loved your comment! Thank you. It's so much better than those of people coming on this forum just to let everybody know that they got 4 calls in a row without even lobbying!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SUNNY

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Does anyone know something about EAC? Im really stressed...
Do you know how many trainees can be chosen by each DG??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taonancy

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:50 pm

SUNNY wrote:

I have also chosen EAC..... no call yet:(
Back to top Go down
View user profile
anna17

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Hey Sunny,

No news unfortunately...I was wondering the same thing.I don't know if their policy to select trainees mean just to pick up the right profile from the VBB or they are interviewing some...I didn't receive any signs from them...
What about EACEA?
good luck!
Anna

SUNNY wrote:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried because I did not lobby.   

Back to top Go down

Worried because I did not lobby.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1