Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

EC Traineeship in your CV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jozstama

PostSubject: EC Traineeship in your CV   Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have received an offer, however I am doubtful about a couple of things. How much do you think an EC traineeship gives to your CV. It's obvious that it can help those who would like to work for the EC as a permanent official. However I would like to ask your opinion. How much do you think a stage at the EC is respected in the private sector? ( Former stagiaires: Anyone with an own example?)

In my case, do you think that being a DG BUDGET stagiaire will add to my CV in the Financial Industry?

Thanks for your opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Montecito08

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:23 pm

This totally depends on what kind of work you actually do in your internship and the sector you would like to work in. For example, if you do an internship that has to do with regulating banks and then afterwards you are applying for a job to the national regulator, then your experience will definitely help. But if you want to work at an investment bank or something like that, I don't think it will help you that much, since the nature of the work is quite different. I guess they would rather see an internship at a private sector institution, i.e. another investment bank. (Perhaps, in certain cases, it might work against you, given the reputation of the EC in some countries!)

Btw, it is not that obvious that an EC traineeship will help those who want to work there, since the whole selection procedure of EPSO is separate from the traineeship. It may help you through the contacts you have made during the internship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Definitely if you want to work in Brussels afterwards or in the European affairs then it is indispensable to have it in your CV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jozstama

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks for your replies!

And how much do you think the chance is that stagiaires will be kept as permanent after the traineeship is done? Very likely, or happens really rarely.

Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hendy

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

0, you need to pass an EPSO exam in order to be permanent.
trainees have chances of getting temporary contracts (up to 6 months) after their stage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jozstama

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks for your response! My decision hasn't become easier though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
hendy

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:52 pm

well, it depends on what you current situation is
do you currently have a full time well paid job in the sector that you want to be? if the answer is yes, then you probably should stay where you are.

if you are however looking for a good job for months and not finding anything suitable, a traineeship with the institutions will give you new experiences and time to find an other occupation.

I was in the second position, so when the offer came, I didn't hesitate even for a second.

It is certainly a very nice addition to the CV... I still haven't found a job for after the stage, but I was interviewed by a company recently and even though my most relevant experience was not with the Commission, they spent a good part of the interview asking me about my traineeship and the projects i worked on there.

The traineeship in the Commission is not an answer to all your problems in life... but it is also a very enriching experience and I personally don't see any downside to it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jozstama

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for your opinion.

My Situation is quite complicated and I don't say that it's totally independent from me. I have a well paid (well it is relative as I live in Eastern Europe) full time job at a multinational company in the financial sector. Previously I did not consider this as a long term career opportunity, I really wanted to join the EC. However this has been changing currently as I could imagine a career in finance for myself. I do not consider my job as a really interesting one however I do see some mobility opportunities in the future to roles that I would be much more fond of. Although If I did get a permanent offer from the Commission I would of course gladly join.

I am thinking perhaps I should take a little detour and see if I really wanna work as a permanent in Brussels and put this in my aim in the future. However this certainly involves giving up my future mobility possibilites internally...aggh so annoying....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hendy

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:45 pm

well if you can persuade your current employer that he will benefit from your experience in the commission... but of course you'd be taking a risk.
a traineeship can in no case lead to a permanent contract and the whole selection with the exams and so on takes more than one year from the day you take your exam... so it is very risky to leave a well paid job for this.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fexelix

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:33 pm

follow your heart not your mind Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EC Traineeship in your CV   

Back to top Go down

EC Traineeship in your CV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg :: Traineeship in the EC :: October 2011 Traineeship-
Jump to: