Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

And off we go - March 2012 general talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ready4everything

PostSubject: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Heya peeps, I thought having a topic for general talk, gossip and banter would be nice and handy.
Shall we introduce ourselves according to our applications?
Me: Originally Lithuanian, just finished BSc studies in a British university. Applied for Info, Soc and Media (1st choice) and DG Comms (2nd choice). Anyone else have a similar profile?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
erasoft

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey! Good idea indeed! Also, thank for the managers of this forum, this truly is precious when it comes to fill-in th application form!
My profile, then : French (unfortunately, the traineeship program is the sole opportunity for me to work in the EU), lawyer (and currently passing the bar exam). I am finishing my application form, but I will apply for COMP (1st), Legal and MARKT !
Hope the best!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alessia

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey!

Really a good idea!

My profile: Italian, I have a degree in Development Economics and some experience in the international development sector, and guess what? I've applied for EuropeAid Very Happy

Good luck to everyone again!
Alessia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shypt

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Hey guys Wink well, my profile: Lithuanian, bachelor in communication and information with specialization in publishing. 1st choise DG COMM, 2nd choice DG EAC and the 3rd choice - Publications Office Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bea*

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 pm

Hey guys!! I have just sent my online application!!! it is the 2nd time so let's hope this time is the right one!!
I am also Italian, have as well development aid working experience and applied for EuropeAid! =) =) Alessia, we are in fierce competition here! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bea*

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Ps: There are wayyy to many Italians applying (almost 3000 last year!), it is really difficult for us to even go through the pre-selection!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lamazi

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 am

shypt wrote:
Hey guys Wink well, my profile: Lithuanian, bachelor in communication and information with specialization in publishing. 1st choise DG COMM, 2nd choice DG EAC and the 3rd choice - Publications Office Wink

Hi shypt, hope you didn't send your application yet. As far as I heard, EAC considers only application with EAC in the first choice. But maybe this is only a rumour... so, don't worry too much:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shypt

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:31 am

lamazi wrote:
shypt wrote:

Hi shypt, hope you didn't send your application yet. As far as I heard, EAC considers only application with EAC in the first choice. But maybe this is only a rumour... so, don't worry too much:)

Well, I have already sent my application, however, I'm not too worried - I still want to get into DG COMM the most. Anyway, I guess I still would be surprised if I would even pass the pre-selection, since I only have a bachelor degree, and I've noticed that most applicants usually have at least one master degree as well and lots of work experience. However, you know how they say: 'who doesn't try will never succeed'. So at least I try Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ready4everything

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

I've noticed that Italians outnumber any other nationality by their applications. Any particular reason for that? Why is it so popular amongst you guys?
Shypt, Labas! Our situation is quite similar Very Happy And fair enough, it is definitely worth a try despite all the rumours..!

What do you guys think are your greatest strengths and will gain you the most points? And vice versa, what do you worry about in your app?
I;m not sure about the education section - my little bachelor degree, even though with erasmus exchange might not be enough amongst all those masters and Phds... Also, british unis tend to be really greedy with marks, so my average could seem relatively low despite being high for UK standards. Also, I chose DGs which receive a high number of applications.

HOWEVER... Very Happy I reckon my work experience (constant employment in relevant sector throughout several countries) and super enthusiastic, rational motivation might hit the spot?

Hope everyone submitted their applications on time and didn't have to sprint to post office like Usain Bolt! Good luck to all of us Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlantis

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:04 pm

ready4everything wrote:
Heya peeps, I thought having a topic for general talk, gossip and banter would be nice and handy.
Shall we introduce ourselves according to our applications?
Me: Originally Lithuanian, just finished BSc studies in a British university. Applied for Info, Soc and Media (1st choice) and DG Comms (2nd choice). Anyone else have a similar profile?

Hey, I'm also Lithuanian and trying to get into Traineeship, hopefully we lithuanians succeed it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikos1987

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi guys! My name is Nikos and I come from Greece. I hold a BSc in Management Science and Technology and an MSc in Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations. I have also taken part in the Erasmus Programme in Bergen, Norway.

I have applied for the DG of Human Resource Management and Security, for the Employment and Social Affairs and for the EPSO.

Good luck to everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shypt

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:41 pm

ready4everything, Atlantis, labas ir jums Wink

Atlantis, and which DGs did you choose?

Well, based on statistics I think Lithuanians have pretty good chances, since I've noticed that around 14% Lithuanian applicants get selected, while percentage of selected Italians is around 3,4%, so it's a really huge competition for you guys. And how come is it so popular in Italy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bea*

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:41 pm

ready4everything, I think we Italians just currently have a very high juvenile unemployment rate and have so badly paid internships on a national level, that everyone tries to get into the renounced and well-paid ones! the 1000 € the Commission offers are normally more than a fresh graduate would earn by working (not by interning!)! It is sad to say, but I reckon that the EU has therefore this particular charm to many Italians Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hec

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi there!

I applied for the DG COMP 'cause I graduated in Economics and at the moment I'm doing a traineeship at a competition authority...

I'm enthusiatic about joining the Commission, but I guess it's really hard to make it... Sad
I wish I were among the chosen! Razz

Good luck to everyone!
Cheers from BCN Smile

PD: By the way, the blog it's so useful, congratulations to whoever came up with the idea...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hector624.com
Atlantis

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:35 pm

shypt wrote:

Well, based on statistics I think Lithuanians have pretty good chances, since I've noticed that around 14% Lithuanian applicants get selected, while percentage of selected Italians is around 3,4%, so it's a really huge competition for you guys. And how come is it so popular in Italy?

Labas labas Wink

I have applied for the Human Resource Management and Security, EPSO and General Secretariat....I wonder when shall we hear the good or bad news? Looking forward to the results...And to everyone else...GOOD LUCK !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlantis

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 pm

hec wrote:
Hi there!

I applied for the DG COMP 'cause I graduated in Economics and at the moment I'm doing a traineeship at a competition authority...

I'm enthusiatic about joining the Commission, but I guess it's really hard to make it... Sad
I wish I were among the chosen! Razz

Good luck to everyone!
Cheers from BCN Smile

PD: By the way, the blog it's so useful, congratulations to whoever came up with the idea...

Hi Hec,

I think all of us are really entusiastic about doing traineeship in the EUC, even if it's hard to make it, let's be positive and hope for the best:)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shypt

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:15 am

Atlantis wrote:
shypt wrote:

Labas labas Wink

I have applied for the Human Resource Management and Security, EPSO and General Secretariat....I wonder when shall we hear the good or bad news? Looking forward to the results...And to everyone else...GOOD LUCK !!!

Well, pre-selection should be clear sometime around the middle of November and selection - around the beginning of January. So, still a long time. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lamazi

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:01 am

shypt wrote:
lamazi wrote:
shypt wrote:

Well, I have already sent my application, however, I'm not too worried - I still want to get into DG COMM the most. Anyway, I guess I still would be surprised if I would even pass the pre-selection, since I only have a bachelor degree, and I've noticed that most applicants usually have at least one master degree as well and lots of work experience. However, you know how they say: 'who doesn't try will never succeed'. So at least I try Smile

As DG COMM is your first choice, you did the right thing Smile Good luck!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 am

Hi,

My profile: Romanian, with mother tongue Hungarian. Finished my BSc in Accounting (2010), former Erasmus student in Budapest, some work experience in ACC, training in the Financial, Economic, HR departments + county organizer at a volunteer based National foresting movement. Applied for BUDGET, ECFIN and Environment DG.

It's my second time. I calculated, last year ONLY A RIDICULOUS 2.6% of the Romanian applicants made it (41 out of approx. 1600)..so, having past the pre-selections, I guess I shouldn't be that disappointed.
In the October traineeship I noticed the RO applicants # already dropped with 60%, but still remain in the top 3 most numerous. Curious if I have a chance this March Smile .

Good Luck to everyone!
X
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ready4everything

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Just received a letter stating the acknowledgement of receipt of my printed application form! Phewww I had a little nervous moment after seeing an email from EC! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XabaCs

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Quote :
Just received a letter stating the acknowledgement of receipt of my printed application form! Phewww I had a little nervous moment after seeing an email from EC! Very Happy

What do you mean? That they received your application documentation?
I didn't get any such e-mail last year. As far as I know...they only write you back if it is a rejection at this stage (eligibility) http://ec.europa.eu/stages/information/eligibility_en.htm#Infotab2 .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tina1985

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi,
is there anyone applying for DG Translation Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lomi

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Hey,

I also applied for DG Translation.

My profile: Slovenian, MA in Languages&Literature, have quite some relevant work experience, applying for the first time. I hope for the best, but I believe it's quite competitive for translators too.

Anyone else for DGT?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nikos1987

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 am

bea* wrote:
ready4everything, I think we Italians just currently have a very high juvenile unemployment rate and have so badly paid internships on a national level, that everyone tries to get into the renounced and well-paid ones! the 1000 € the Commission offers are normally more than a fresh graduate would earn by working (not by interning!)! It is sad to say, but I reckon that the EU has therefore this particular charm to many Italians Neutral

That's the same case for Greece, unfortunately...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiana_suk

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm

XabaCs wrote:
Quote :

What do you mean? That they received your application documentation?
I didn't get any such e-mail last year. As far as I know...they only write you back if it is a rejection at this stage (eligibility) http://ec.europa.eu/stages/information/eligibility_en.htm#Infotab2 .

Yeah, you should've got the email. This is the third time I'm applying and every time I received the acknoledgement of the application email. Check also your spam folder.

My profile: Croatian, MA in Int relations (UK), MA in English (CRO), internships at the UN and I applied to ECHO, EuropeAid and Enlargement.

Good luck!

Tijana
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenny26

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Hi guys,

I applied for an admin traineeship but since I submitted my application I haven't recieve anything back, no email, no nothing! Is that normal? How long does it take?

Jenny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shypt

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:59 pm

Jenny26 wrote:
Hi guys,

I applied for an admin traineeship but since I submitted my application I haven't recieve anything back, no email, no nothing! Is that normal? How long does it take?

Jenny

Well, I received the confirmation via e-mail after a week from the day I sent my application by post, however, I used registered priority letter. I guess it also depends on which country you are from and how many applicants does your desk serve (that's just my guess).
And when exactly did you send your application?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zyrte

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Jenny26 wrote:
Hi guys,

Jenny

Take a look at your junk mail box, sometimes emails from EC go there (don't know why).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ovca

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello guys, I see that the discussion is at the hold for some time so;

my profile: Croatia, graduate of European Studies (Slovenia), Master in Advanced European and International Studies (Turkey, Nice, Germany). Applied for the Bureau of European Policy
Advisers as a first choice.
Good luck to everybody and especially to the Italians and non-EU applicants that have the worst statistical odds Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tournesol

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Hello everybody, it's great that so many of you replied to this threat Smile So, let me introduce myself Smile

I am Slovenian (and German), have a Bachelor in Languages and Business (a trinational programme; at the end you get three degress, so I have a "Maîtrise internationale" (from France), a Bachelor of Arts (from Germany) and another Bachelor of Arts (from Ireland)). I spent one year of study in both France and Ireland and at the moment I am doing an Executive Master in Communication and European Affairs in Brussels. It is the first time for me and I am really excited...but it is a pity that we have to wait for such a long time...

Oh, and my choices were: DG COMM, DG EAC and DG SCIC.

Does one of you know which are the most popular DGs? Because I found it was quite hard to find information about that. Anyway, I chose DG COMM because it attracts me the most.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And off we go - March 2012 general talk   

Back to top Go down

And off we go - March 2012 general talk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next