Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Preselection phase

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lauraalden

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi, guys! Today I`ve sent this brief message:
"We note that you wish to have an internship within BEPA. However, as the selection of candidates for BEPA is already closed, we can not offer a traineeship in our department.
Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise. You must, however, make a fresh application."
So I am out of the selection Sad
Just decided to tell those who applied for BEPA that the selection is now closed there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus_B

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Lauraalden wrote:

Damn! Sad But maybe you have luck and another GD chose you without contacting you!
I also try not to loose hope, but it is difficult...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lauraalden

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Klaus_B wrote:
Lauraalden wrote:

Damn! Sad But maybe you have luck and another GD chose you without contacting you!
I also try not to loose hope, but it is difficult...

Klaus, thank you for your kindness. But I am definetely out of the selection, because in case the application is rejected by the chosen DG, personal data is removed from the database. In this situation it is possible only to submit a new application and send it again. But as I am not UE-member, my application will be delivering for at minimum 3 weeks. As you understand it will be to late.
Anyway, wish all of you guys good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hipersons

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Can you please point to where you got that information from? It is my understanding that if none of your DGs choses you, your info stays in the VBB others can chose you. Read page 34 and 35 of this for more info: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/evalreports/civilsociety/2008/stagereport_en.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
opperskip

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:41 pm

There is still the possibility of a late selection. Last traineeship period I was contacted for a traineeship when the period had already started, because I was still in the BlueBook.

there is always hope
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rea

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:23 pm

PhyK wrote:
Hi all,

I am preselected as well. I sent a number of lobby letters to the units that I am interested in. However, I received up to 3 replies saying they were not granted for a trainee position. It seems that they are interested in getting trainees, but just cannot hire any.

I also had an interview with one unit and they verbally gave me an offer. However, they emphasized that it is not official. I also haven't received any emails from the unit that they will give me the offer. I am quite paranoid unless I receive the official letter. You will never know what will happen in the bureaucracy. I am afraid the unit will suddenly turn down or their grant for a trainee will suddenly cease.

Also, I received another email from a unit that I am one of the 4 preselected candidates in their team. They would like me to verify my interest. I just declined because I got the verbal offer from other unit. However, I don't feel very secure to do so, but I think it is right.

Is anybody in the same situation as me? I would love to hear from you.

Congratulations to those who are preselected.

Hi, I'd say I'm in a simmilar situatuion as you, as I received a phone call, during which the lady said she'd put me on their shortlist on a first place..but she said the offer wasn't certain yet, though I've got no idea what it depends on..So really it's difficult to tell..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lauraalden

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:15 am

Hipersons, if you attentively read the letter which I`ve received and showed here You`ll clearly see this information:
"Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise. You must, however, make a fresh application."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
myrskypilvi

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:45 am

Lauraalden wrote:
Hipersons, if you attentively read the letter which I`ve received and showed here You`ll clearly see this information:
"Should your first application be unsuccessful, you can still apply for a subsequent exercise. You must, however, make a fresh application."

Lauraalden, Hipersons is right. Even if your chosen DG, BEPA, did not choose you, you might still be chosen by another DG. Of course it is your choice then, if you do not want to do a traineeship in any other DG.

But, as others here have pointed out, there is also the option of late selections. As sometimes the chosen candidates refuse the placement offered, for whatever reason. Then the DGs have to find new candidates, who are still interested in the traineeship.

It might seem unlikely at this point, but don't lose hope yet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lauraalden

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 am

myrskypilvi wrote:
Lauraalden wrote:

Lauraalden, Hipersons is right. Even if your chosen DG, BEPA, did not choose you, you might still be chosen by another DG. Of course it is your choice then, if you do not want to do a traineeship in any other DG.

But, as others here have pointed out, there is also the option of late selections. As sometimes the chosen candidates refuse the placement offered, for whatever reason. Then the DGs have to find new candidates, who are still interested in the traineeship.

It might seem unlikely at this point, but don't lose hope yet!

The problem is all of my data was removed after rejecting and I should submit a new application to be visible for other DG`s. But I have no time to do this as the selection round will finish at the end of December - beginning of January and my new application will be received by European Commission at minimum 3 weeks later ( as I am not UE-member applicant). It is a rule. You can see it there: http://ec.europa.eu/stages/rules/rules_en.pdf (3.5 Rejection of application) and in quoted part of the official letter I`ve sent.
But thank you guys for your support Smile I really appreciate that. It is not the end of the world Smile But be careful in case you`ll reseive rejection by the your preffered DG remember you should re-submit your application to be visible for others.
Take care!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hipersons

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 am

Hi Lauraalden,
We're here to support, but we're also here to help, so perhaps you can help us. What we're having a hard time understanding is the jump from:
Quote :
to:
Quote :
"all of my data was removed after rejecting"
especially given all of the prior evidence that shows that if a unit or DG rejects your application you are still eligible for other units or DGs.

We believe that the author of the email probably meant something along the lines of this:
"Should your first application be unsuccessful" - As in, your application to the entire Commission, not to one DG or unit. The key here is how the author addressed your application as a whole, not your interest in a particular DG or unit.
"you can still apply for a subsequent exercise" - As in, for October 2012 or any trainee session after. They wrote the word exercise, not unit or DG, which is a key word here.
"You must, however, make a fresh application" - As in, you need to apply fresh in the next round, since the Traineeship Office is definitely not accepting any applications at this time.

We believe that the entire email should read something like this:
"Thank you for your interest, but we have already made our selections. If you are not chosen by any of the DGs this round, with a firm deadline in mid-March of 2012, you are welcome to apply again for the October traineeship."

I see what you're saying about the document you attached, though I think what the commission considers as a stage is the whole selection time, which we are in, not individual attempts to lobby units or DGs (that would just be downright unfair!). We all just want to make sure the right information is out there to prevent confusion among this community and future readers of this forum. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lauraalden

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 am

Ok, guys, I`ve just misunderstood. I really didn`t wanna to confuse anybody. Thank you for your help. Wish all of you good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hipersons

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:42 am

And the same to you, good luck!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zyrte

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 am

@bea

Three times preselected, 0 phone calls or interviews.

First time I didn't lobby, second I lobbied a lot, this time I've lobbied just to the Units I am interested in.

Lots of people (me included) put a lot of efforts to get a traineeship, and then you end frustrated because you don't have the chance. I was like this the first time, the second not that much and I am more than prepared to receive a negative answer this time.

For ones who is your first time and you're very excited about the opportunity, you've lobbied a lot and you think you do have possibilities: good luck, but do not put all your professional dreams in this programme.

I'm sorry to be "a little" negative Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bea*

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Zyrte, thanks for sharing, and don't worry I understand you! it is the 2nd time I am applying and already I am quite frustrated, but I think I won't try a 3rd time! So it is now or never! I hope it is "now" for you too! thanks for your suggestions, you don't sound negative, you sound realistic! Wink Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mali

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:44 am

@bea, @Zyrte,

Thanks for sharing your experience... as far as I understand we might be in the same position - with the "slight" difference that this is my first time applying - so i have not piled this mush anxiety in me (but I'm starting to); yet having in mind that some guys have already been contacted and are looking for housing cannot help in making me feel hopeful. I sincerely hope this will be really "now" for you guys, because I can put myself in your shoes. I hope it will be it for me also - i guess we need to be extra lucky ..... all the best and keep in touch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zyrte

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:42 am

@bea, @Mali

Thanks for your support! Good luck for you too, although I know that reading people who have already been offered a traineeship is not hopeful for us who have not received news yet.

I think it's time to start (if you haven't done it yet) to look for another opportunity somewhere else, although there's still a chance (trying not to sound very negative again) Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tamara

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:24 pm

@bea, @Mali, @Zyrte,

I also have not recieved any calls, which makes me somehow confused because I thought that if you are preselected at least they will talk to you before. But now I see from your convesation that that is not true! But when do they stop calling, in January or even in December (I mean when is the end of selection)? Arrrggghhh, I hope that we have January also. Now, when holydays come nothing is going to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tamara

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:35 pm

p.s. does anyone have any information about INFSO, COMM and JRC? I know, JRC is strange one, almost no one apply to it Very Happy , but still maybe ... INFSO and COMM should be more popular ones, so if there is any info it would be nice to hear are they still in selection process ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus_B

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:28 pm

Got a mail of ENV today, which I lobbied two weeks ago... Maybe useful for somebody:

Quote :
Dear...,

Thank you very much for your e-mail and your interest in working in our DG.

Please note that the selection procedure for the next Traineeship period has just started and that DG EAC will inform the lucky ones.

Should you not be among the selected trainees this time and still be interested in working for the European Commission I would advise you to apply again for the following 2012 traineeship. The traineeships' office website will give you all necessary information http://ec.europa.eu/stages/index_en.htm

With kind regards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aja

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey guys,

did anybody got any info from DG Regio??? Thank you all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mali

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:32 am

@ aja

Hey, aja, I've also applied to Regio. i have not heard from them and I don;t think anyone else in this forum has...they either don't recruit or don't call...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tsveta

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Same here... No word from Regio Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gaza

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:21 pm

The same, nothing from Regio ... As I saw that some persons here had already received the official offer from the Traineeship Office, I suppose that all the official offers had been sent automatically on 22nd of December..so, if we didn't receive anything by now, we probably won't receive any e-mail...only if other selected trainees would give up the offer..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tournesol

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:25 am

@tamara, I know from some people who already got an answer from DG COMM (on 22nd December). I think that the lobby period is over as they are going to send out the contracts from 5 January onwards.

But you can still get an answer during January...so don't give up hope Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bea*

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:23 pm

I don't understand how it is possible that the traineeship office sent out official offers to some people already on the 22nd of dec and others have to wait until (mid) January. What sense does this policy have? And, WHY does this happen, does it depend on the different DGs? It is kinda weird.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hipersons

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:27 pm

I think this is quite odd, as well, especially considering past examples. After some thought, it may not be a policy so much as a symptom of the system. A few things to keep in mind:
1. The selection process is not simple. Even if the selection period is over, some candidates will be chosen by more than one unit or DG. There will be some jockeying to decide who gets who, and in some cases candidates will be provided a choice (see this thread, I believe). It is hard to know when this process is over (now? mid Jan?).
2. Once the selection process is over, the unit must submit a job description to the TO. This may or may not happen in a timely fashion.
3. People will turn down offers; it is inevitable. This opens up slots for late selection.

We do not know this for sure yet whether this was a small batch of offers or if it was all 600ish offers. However, it is entirely possible that the TO is changing up their MO by by sending out offers in batches. It is also entirely possible that those who received offers were uncontested candidates whose prospective unit submitted an approved job description by Dec 22nd. Final thought, I always thought it was kinda unfair that the offers would be sent out right as non-EU applicants became ineligible for late selection (due to the lengthy resident permit process), so maybe this will be a benefit to that group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fonfon_4

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:20 pm

I agree with you. I have just thought of one thing: maybe it depends on the "Desk number". Maybe they send the offers at the same time for all the people who are in the same Desk. I don't know if this is stupid but it can be an explanation.
For example I am Desk 10, so if some people from Desk 10 have already received an official offer from the Traineeship Office, I would be totally wrong...

In any case, I can't wait to receive an answer, either positive nor negative because I would have to find a Plan B in order to find another traineeship....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus_B

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:46 pm

In the offer mail I received was written, that the detailed offers will beginn to be sent at 05.01.12. So wait until thursday, maybe you will receive a positive mail Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joja

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 am

Klaus, my competitor, first, congratulation for being the chosen one!!

I still received nothing Sad

I have a question though. albino I dont understand what is the aim of the offers sent on 22nd if u will receive again a detailed offer on 5th January?
Why did they decided to make it so complicated?!! What is the logic behind this? And surely there is one. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Klaus_B

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:33 pm

joja wrote:
Klaus, my competitor, first, congratulation for being the chosen one!!

I still received nothing Sad

I have a question though. albino I dont understand what is the aim of the offers sent on 22nd if u will receive again a detailed offer on 5th January?
Why did they decided to make it so complicated?!! What is the logic behind this? And surely there is one. Mad
Thanks joja, I am crossing my fingers for you Smile
I don´t know why they sent the massages on 22nd december, maybe as a christmas present Smile The mail just contained a short description which unit offers an internship and trainee´s tasks. No documents etc. attached. I think the offers will be sent this week and there is still the chance, that not every chosen candidate received the mail on 22nd december.
Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preselection phase   

Back to top Go down

Preselection phase
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next