Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

EU OR non-EU nationality?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Classy.Kid

PostSubject: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi guys,

I'm about to start the application process, and I have a small dilemma: I have nationalities; one EU and one non-EU nationality, so which one do I use? Do you think I'll have an advantage if I use one over the other?

There will clearly be a lot more EU nationals than non-EU nationals applying for this Traineeship Programme, so I maybe my application will stand out more coming from a non EU country? At the same time I guess the majority of recruits are from EU states, so I might have a better chance with my EU nationality. What do you guys think? Are there any quotas they have to fill?

I understand that the statistics are not available anymore, but I found this on Wikipedia:

The October 2011 traineeship has seen a total of 10 424 applicants, out of which 9 349 were nationals of EU member states. From them, 652 were recruited as trainees. Most trainees come from Italy (73), and 44 recruits are non-EU citizens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traineeship_scheme_of_the_European_Commission

I would be so happy for any advice from applicants, former or present trainees Smile Thanks and good luck with your applications!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Classy.Kid!

I would say it depends which EU country nationality you have. They do have quotas for EU countries, but for few of them the number of applicants is REALLY high! If I remember it well, it is Italy, Spain... and maybe Romania, but I am not sure, I don't remember the statistics.

Of course, they try to balance out the number of applicants and number of accepted trainees, but still... if you are in a group with thousand of applicants it's hard to stand up among others, since it will be many many good CVs. While, if you have nationality of, for example Malta, then apply as Maltese! Smile

So, I hope you understood me what I wanted to say, but that's still my opinion... maybe someone else has different theory.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Classy.Kid

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Thank you so much, mdenic85!

I've asked some friends and they advised me to apply with my EU nationality, but I still have doubts... I have a Belgian and a Norwegian nationality. Norway being a small, non-EU country (in Europe Smile), maybe it's true what you said, that my application would stand out more. Thanks for your perspective, I'll have to give it some thought Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

I think Belgian is also good card to play on...

Norway, non EU country that said NO to EU... exotic! Smile

Think about it...
Back to top Go down
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:29 pm

There are statistics on how many candidates from which country are applying on average. It was something like 30 (or 60?) per one place for Italians, and something like 2 candidates per place from Malta/Luxembourg etc. Maybe I am totally confusing the numbers, but it's good to find this statictics (it was posted many times on this forum) and see what are your statistical chances if you apply as Belgian and if you apply as a third coutry candidate. My guess would be Belgian nationality should be better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Hello there. So good to find this forum Smile

I have the same doubt, as I have two citizenships, too. One is Hungarian and the other is a "real" non EU/EFTA - Serbian. I wrote to the help desk of the Traineeship office and they suggested me to go with the HU citizenship. So, I think I'll do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Apply with HU, I think the quotas are better than Non-EU group.

Pozdrav! Wink
Back to top Go down
steva8817

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 pm

ALWAYS TAKE AN EU NATIONALITY.
Especially if you have a Belgian one.
I am telling you this from experience. I have many Belgian and Italian friends and they receive offers like crazy. usually people from the EC go (unintentionally or not) for people from their countries.
And if you're non EU you are going through special security screening. Trust me, you don't want that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolavie

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I have also dual citizenship and only one is of a member state of the EU.

I don't speak any of the EU official languages except for English, so I guess that in my case it would be not useful to apply with the EU citizenship.

Is there any chance that my application will be considered if I apply with my Romanian citizenship and the only language I speak is English?

Thank you all,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm

You have a RO citizenship, but you don't speak Romanian?

Don't mix official and working language of the EU. Romanian is an official language, so if you speak it, that's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jolavie

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am

I do have a RO citizenship, but I grew up abroad, and I didn't study the language...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 am

Hm. In that case I don't know whether they would check your Romanian language skills. I guess they would. That's EC Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FeJeNo

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Oh great...irony.

I was +- in the same position being both from Ecuador and from Belgium, I applied as an Ecuadorian...

I heard quite a lot that there is always "too many" people applying from Belgium, Italy and Spain so I thought that Ecuador would be quite strategic. When I saw the statistics for the October 2013 traineeship, it confirmed this idea but reading your posts it seems that applying as a non EU-national when you also have a EU national ID is not the best bet.

Do you think that the staff in charge of the selection could take into account the fact that you chose your non EU ID over your EU-ID ?

Hopefully not !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EU OR non-EU nationality?   

Back to top Go down

EU OR non-EU nationality?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg :: Traineeship in the EC :: October 2013 Traineeship-
Jump to: