Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

profiles and qualifications

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stevedale84

PostSubject: profiles and qualifications   Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi everyone!

I have applied for the internship for the first time and I cannot deny that it was an unexpected (and unpleasant...) surprise to see the number of applicants for this session.
Moreover, I belong also to the most numerous group (Italians)...
Browsing past threads, I came across one concerning the profiles of the candidates and again that brought me down... people with several masters, other experiences abroad, 3-4-5 fluent languages. I'm proud of my profile (not to brag, but just to let you know what I mean: degree in Law in Italy with the highest grade, Bar admission, an ongoing master in European Law due to be completed in june, hopefully an excellent english and... swedish since I live and study in Sweden and I've learned the language; probably totally useless in this context...), but given the stiff competition it might not be enough.

My question is (also for those who have already been trainees): is it possible with a "normal" profile to be selected? Or all the people doing this traineeship are really "superior", namely having all the features listed before?
I can hardly believe that the majority of the applicants correspond to such a description...
Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed!
Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aneena

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 am

It really depends. I am one of the ones with many Master's, experiences and languages, but when I came to the Commission I realised it is not absolutely necessary to have such a profile to get an internship. There was a girl in the unit next door who only had a 3-year Bachelor (from here home town university - not Oxford) and spoke 1 foreign language (English), I met many more people who didn't have excellent CVs, but got in.
I think the main problem here might be the preselection - as you get points for every language, master or international experience you gain. With no special skills or experiences you might just not get enough point to be put on the list of preselected candidates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoreEU4all

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi guys!
I am Italian as well so welcome in the long queue of applicants Stevedale84!! As for me, I have Bachelor and Master with high grades from my home town University, one year on Erasmus Study and two work experiences abroad both of them in the framework of European affairs and one specifically relevant to the work of the EC. I have a good command of English and French but I wouldn't say my level to be excellent, not even near to excellence!! Just good, let's say B2 level. I can speak some Spanish and a little German, so little that I should probably not even mention it on my cv :-P. Italian as mothertongue.
The last time I applied for this programme I was suggested by the TO to improve my motivational statement and make it more personal and better tailored to the specific area I was applying for. I guess this time I really improved that part of my application but I still don't know if I am likely to be preselected at least...
Some friends of mine with a similar profile were preselected and then selected as well. By the way, they are all really satisfied with this experience.
Well good luck to everybody then!!
One month still to go :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anne1980

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Aneena wrote:
It really depends. I am one of the ones with many Master's, experiences and languages, but when I came to the Commission I realised it is not absolutely necessary to have such a profile to get an internship. There was a girl in the unit next door who only had a 3-year Bachelor (from here home town university - not Oxford) and spoke 1 foreign language (English), I met many more people who didn't have excellent CVs, but got in.
I think the main problem here might be the preselection - as you get points for every language, master or international experience you gain. With no special skills or experiences you might just not get enough point to be put on the list of preselected candidates.

Yes but those ones i can guess they had a lot of relationships and contacts...that´s why the got the internship.

The girl next door in COE was a 20 years old girl studying in an unknown university second of law BUT....her father was the ancient representant of one EU country... another like her almost the same profile her mother was the president of i do not know what court of justice...in an EU country that one she was hired for a year!!!

I met a lot like them in COE in Strassbourg , they even came to the internship in couples!! and for the rest we have to speak 3 languages, masters and masters and research papers and publications and PhDs...

May be this "nepotism" is the cause of the useless Europe and its rulers..you only have to take a look at their CV, they finished University and the first job is "councelor of the president X" or Head of something always in teh government NEVER in private enterpises where people have to really work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michuss

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 am

I don't know if it's always the case. From what I heard, the pre-selection is a lottery. In most cases, many people have similar experiences. If you have decent degrees and speak at least 2 languages and have some relevant experience, it all comes down to whom they like. There's just too many applications to be totally objective at this stage.

On the other hand, the way your application looks - i.e. CV layout, all the papers etc. also speak volumes about what kind of person you are - meticulous or hasty, detail-oriented or...not. There's simply too many applications, some of them will depend on a whim of the admissions committee, whomever they are. As far as I've heard, it's only a few people - that's why they moved the pre-selection timeline.

If the rules haven't changed, out of the 18,5k applicants, they have to pre-select 2,5k. Do you think some of the people who will not get in were worse than those who will? Highly unlikely.

The application process is like a box of chocolates - you never know who they're gonna get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kimkillah

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 am

Regarding the University in the hometown, I honestly don't think this should be discriminatory. I am happy for you if you have the money to fly to Oxford and study there...but not everybody has.
So I believe that they are smart enough not to give too much importance to the University.
What really matters are the experiences and the motivation. I don't even reckon that having tons of masters is THAT important...maybe it's better to have more working experiences, also abroad.
As for me, I have a "simple" master's degree in my hometown in Foreign languages, I speak English, Spanish and a tiiiiiny German and a even tiiiiiinier French.
Spent a month in UK to improve my English, spent 3 months in Brussels for an intership in a Chamber of Commerce.
I have always worked since my very first year of University, but I am a simple receptionist.
I was preselected, but probably won't be selected since the competition is against these people with multiple masters, multiple languages, multiple everything!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 am

Hey guys, sorry but I did go to Oxford and I feel a little offended by the things you are saying, which are mostly based on prejudice. It's not about the money (I would pay the same fees if I'd do the course in my home country), it's about studying hard and having good grades. There are scholarships you know. I studied really really really hard during my bachelor course in my home country to fulfill my dream and get into Oxford. And I did, and I also got a scholarship and I am very proud of what I achieved.

By the way, the EC does think studying abroad is an important point they take into account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kimkillah

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 11:19 am

Well Elanor, it is also a matter of money.
I had to work to complete my studies, and in my homecountry universities cost MUCH less than in UK.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure that a degree in Oxford will open you tons of possibilities that I won't have, and it's right that way: it is a high-level university, with high-level professors etc.
But it would be sad if the EC selected only candidates from Oxford or similar, since not always a person that studied there is more competent/intelligent/prepared than one that didn't get the chance (for various reasons, one of which is money) to study there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 am

Like I said, there are a lot of scholarships around! Most of my friends came to Oxford on scholarships too, from countries all over the world. I just thought it was a bit harsh the way you said it, like "not everybody has the money to fly there". It's just not that simple. And I actually don't think that the EC makes a selection based on which uni you went to at all, but rather whether you did an exchange year or a course abroad, etc. as they do seem to appreciate a lot of international experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kimkillah

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 11:28 am

I'm sorry if my statement seemed harsh, it was due to a previous comment that I didn't like! ("There was a girl in the unit next door who only had a 3-year Bachelor from here home town university - not Oxford")
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   Sat May 18, 2013 11:39 am

All good Smile good luck with lobbying!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: profiles and qualifications   

Back to top Go down

profiles and qualifications
View previous topic View next topic Back to top