Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Positive answer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
sgd83

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

My email said FROM the 19th, so... who knows!

I just sent an email to the Unit that selected me asking if this is final and if the TO can somehow change the decision or if I can start planning my trip to Brussels. Let's see what do they answer...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Lucky you guys! All the answers I got from the units are: We are not allowed to take trainees for this session!

But come on people, there has to be someone else who applied for the DG ECFIN and BUDGET who reads this forum! Did anyone got contacted except one person who wrote it here few weeks ago! Dont be shy to share your experience! Smile
Back to top Go down
DDD

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Guys!! 
Congrats for whom has been selected!! 
I have a question; If you got selected, what are the chances that the TO will accept/refuse your recruitment?? Is it just a matter of time!! What are the criteria that they will depend on!!  
What a stressful procedure!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KaroJus

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi everybody!
I received an answer from the TO asking them about the the criteria for the final decision. I thought it might  be also interesting for you Smile
 They told me that the final recruitment is in the responsibility of the DG and they are waiting for the final list of recruitment of them. They did not mention any criteria, though..And they will start to send the emails of final selection on 24th June....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

24 June?! Shocked  I can't wait that long haha! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KaroJus

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes, I know! I was thinking the same when I read the answer Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for letting us know though Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:31 pm

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear!! haha.. I am wasting my life in front of my computer and staring at the phone! Smile I will ask for reimbursement of my life after all of this is over! hahaha!
Back to top Go down
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Haha "pressing like" for meteoduki' answer: so true! Thanks for letting us know, basically it means: wait! You will receive an answer end June (actually no new news Smile).

@ people interested in legal: I haven't received an answer either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sueno

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Hello everyone!

Few days ago I got an offer from a unit in Brussels, and I accepted the traineeship since I thought that even if some other units contact me for an interview or offer, I would then have the chance to choose between the options I would have. But now I am wondering whether the unit I accepted the offer has “reserved” me for the traineeship and hence no other units will contact me for a traineeship. Actually, the person I spoke with from the unit I got the offer, also used the word “reserve”. Does anyone have any idea how this thing with “reserved” trainees works?

Also, does anyone heard back from EUROSTAT?

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgd83

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi sueno,

I had a similar situation last period, when I got an interview from a DG which was not among my preferences, and the lady asked if they could "reserve" me in the Blue Book. But she did explain that if they did reserve me then no other Unit would be able to contact me, so I asked her not to do it because I didn't want to close any doors. Mistake! I ended up not getting selected by anyone, and my guess is that telling them I didn't want them to "reserve" me gave the idea that I was not interested in their offer (which was actually really interesting!), and even if I was left available, no other Unit got interested in me.

So in summary, from my experience I think you did the best thing accepting to be reserved if you are interested in their offer. But from what she told me it is true that no other Unit should be able to contact you if they did it. I don't know if that's good or bad for you... :S
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgd83

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Guys! I just got this answer to my email to the Unit that selected me asking if the decision was final and if the TO could change it:

Quote :
The internal selection process has finalised and a reservation for you has been made for coming to our unit for next training period. For us, the process is finished. It is expected that you will receive soon a formal communication in this sense. You can start planning now, but please keep in mind that only the formal communication you will receive has a contractual character. This message you receive now has a non-contractual information character. It is not a to be considered as a formal commitment of the Commission. Therefore, please wait to have this before start making expenditures (buying tickets…)

So it's final but not that final Razz I think they actually like playing this game...

They also sent me a job description and it doesn't sound that interesting any more... :S I did a Masters in Development and Cooperation to run away from my IT background, but now they want me to do IT work Sad. Mmmm, getting confused and indecisive now :S. Does anyone know what happens if I reject an offer? Can I still apply for next period? Aaarrgghhh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sueno

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Sgd83, thank you so much for your quick reply!

This means that I don’t have to wait for any other interviews or offers. I guess I would never know whether accepting being reserved was the best option since I won’t find out if a more preferable unit would be interested in me! Nevertheless, the unit in Brussels I got the offer is a good option and the position seems very interesting! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Oe difficult position to be in, sgd83: on the one hand happy to be "in", on the other hand not because you are not that keen on the things you will have to do. First of all, maybe it isn't that bad? I assume there is room for you to present your views and ideas, thus steer it a bit in the direction you like?

If you really feel like this isn't what you want, not even for a bit - then you should consider rejecting it and apply for the next cycle. Bear in mind that perhaps you will not be 'lucky' to be selected the next time and that this unit or DG might not be interested again because they know of your rejection. But there are plenty of other DGs and units, no?

All in all, do think about this carefully! You don't want to regret it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sgd83

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Really difficult indeed... I have a friend telling me to accept it, cause after all I'm now in an IT job I don't like that much either, and at least at the EC I will be able to attend interesting meetings and conferences, learn how the EC works internally and make some useful contacts. I guess she is right... but in my mind EC was a door to leave IT behind once and for all and really start building a career in something I really like, so now I'm confused :S

Anyway, I still have some time to think about it and convince myself this is what I want before the confirmation mail from the TO Razz

(I just hope no one from my Unit follows this forum and reads about my doubts :S)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
omayo

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 pm

I think that tomorrow everyone is going to be informed about the final decision...good luck to every one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angelapia

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:04 am

I have completely  lost hopes, I did not get any answer apart automatic reply to the one sent to the official addresses given from the TO.

Anyway, I am getting ready for March 2014 application!!!

Just want to thank all of you for the company in these long months and congratulate with the selected one!!!

p.s.: has any body heard something from DEVCO B4 or ERA??? They are my first choice so if somebody gets in there can come back to me with feedback about his/her background, please??!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kasparuz

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:11 pm

sgd83 wrote:
Guys! I just got this answer to my email to the Unit that selected me asking if the decision was final and if the TO could change it:

Quote :
The internal selection process has finalised and a reservation for you has been made for coming to our unit for next training period. For us, the process is finished. It is expected that you will receive soon a formal communication in this sense. You can start planning now, but please keep in mind that only the formal communication you will receive has a contractual character. This message you receive now has a non-contractual information character. It is not a to be considered as a formal commitment of the Commission. Therefore, please wait to have this before start making expenditures (buying tickets…)

So it's final but not that final Razz I think they actually like playing this game...

They also sent me a job description and it doesn't sound that interesting any more... :S I did a Masters in Development and Cooperation to run away from my IT background, but now they want me to do IT work Sad. Mmmm, getting confused and indecisive now :S. Does anyone know what happens if I reject an offer? Can I still apply for next period? Aaarrgghhh!

Hi Sgd83, I found myself in the same situation last March. I was contacted by a DG because of my previous background - which I wanted to escape. So I refused and I don´t regret it. In fact, this time round I changed strategy and personally lobbied the HoU relevant to my "new" interest (the previous time I just sent an email to the addresses provided in the pre-selection message), I forwarded them my thesis and CV and showed my motivation. Well, I got selected in the place I wanted (well at least this is the informal information...we never know with the TO Smile). That is my experience. What I can suggest is that you try, however, to find a link between your previous background and your new interest. Good luck with your choice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Wow, are there really people who want to choose what their tasks will be or even reject the offer after being selected among dozen of thousands of applicants?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yara

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Do you know guys if it is possible to get in without any lobbying? I got shortlisted but did not send any emails because I got another internship for the same period. But I am just curious if I can still be accepted and I am planning to apply for March 2014.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:34 pm

@Yara Yes, it is possible to get an offer without lobbying. When you say you were shortlisted, you mean shortlisted by an unit or pre-selected?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michelle.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm

@ Elanor: I have also received an unofficial confirmation about the Latin America Unit! It seems we will be colleagues Smile I was an Erasmus student in Amsterdam...are you from the Netherlands, or do you just study/live there? PS I am also a bit worried about the country quotas. Let's cross our fingers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yara

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Sorry, I indeed meant I was pre-selected. I am very interested in DG Trade Unit F1 (Legal Aspects of Trade Policy), so if anyone has any experience to share I'd be extremely grateful Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ams47w

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:11 pm

which unit, michelle? cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 pm

@Michelle The TO said that there are no quotas for country nor sex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arty99

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:36 pm

i got a response from legal services that i wasnt chosen. they used the address that we were given in the preselection email. im guessing they are writing to people today
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm

@omayo Do you mean we'll be informed today by the TO or the units?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arty99

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:57 pm

i rather mean the legal service and its my feeling. so if you are not dont freak out everybody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yanke

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:03 pm

I got the rejection email from Legal Service last Friday..They have either so many candidates or they are quite slow in responding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:29 pm

I haven't received anything from legal service or other legal units for that matter... I only got an email from DG internal, unit IP saying that they have chosen a candidate, not being me.

It does sound like they have started to inform people, all we can do is wait. I am not that positive about the outcome, but we'll see. I just wish it would be a bit more transparent, like who did consider me and why I haven't been chosen so that I can perhaps work on it.

Congrats (in advance) to everyone who has been selected and who will be selected: I am happy for you and please do come back to the forum informing others of how you are experiencing or have experienced the traineeship/units.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   

Back to top Go down

Positive answer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next