Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Positive answer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
at86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Great , congrats Smile did they tell u that through mail or over a phone call? I'm still getting the silent treatment from Sanco :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks Elanor and at86.

They called. What if you send a second email?... maybe then they give you some information on the selection status. I was about to do it... all this waiting is way too stressful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
at86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 pm

hm, maybe that's an idea ,even though I don't want to annoy anyone. Were you gonna send it to the general trainee-mail address they gave us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

No, to the units I've lobbied.
To stand in the dark is quite annoying too... I intended to do it next week, as I believe that 3 weeks are enough for them to know whether I'm being considered. If you don't want to send an email, maybe you could call the unit secretary or something! Whatever feels more comfortable...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Congrats! Yeah! I will eat ice cream to celebrate good news for you Smile (I am that unselfish)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks DutchBB Smile Maybe we will be celebrating with the finest belgian chocolate together, soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prox_n

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 am

congrats eleonora! welcome in the team of dg sanco!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
prox_n

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 am

at86 wrote:
hm, maybe that's an idea ,even though I don't want to annoy anyone. Were you gonna send it to the general trainee-mail address they gave us?

Hey at86, as you haven't heard anything I would also say that its a good idea to send another email. Kind of a reminder that you are still interested to work for them.
Better to annoy a bit Rolling Eyes
that waiting is not less annoying for you.. so you are even cherry
good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
at86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 am

I'm gonna give it try and send them all a "I still interested mail", even though its against every fibre of my being to be that pushy. but that's the EU I guess Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angelapia

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 am

@ Elanor: you have said..

"Thank you!! I was so surprised when I got the call last week, and even more surprised that another unit was interested haha. I have been looking for work/an internship for so long! And nobody was interested in me for March 2013 haha. Oh well! I'm so excited. GOOD LUCK!! Hope you get something too!!!"

If you don't mind may I ask you what did you change in your strategy (application, lobbying, phone interview) from March 2013?
Thank you in advance!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Angelapia!

To be honest, I did exactly the same. But instead of sending my lobby e-mails 1-2 days after I got the preselection e-mail (March 2013), I now had everything prepared and ready to be send on the day I got the e-mail (Friday). I don't think that really made any difference though, I only started receiving "thank you" e-mails at the same time as everyone else here on the forum.

Another thing I changed was that I sent lobby e-mails to many more units, not specifically all the Latin America ones (which I did for March 2013). I also sent e-mails to units that my profile matched in general. But, in the end, the two units that were interested in me were the same two units I had also written to in March 2013 (and not one of the extra ones I added).

I had no interviews and no e-mail contact with the units except for the general "thank you"s. For March 2013 I did get a phone call, from ECHO, but only about my availability.

I guess this doesn't really help you at all haha. Smile But I think sending out lobby e-mails is really important, as the lady I talked to mentioned they had only looked at those e-mails (and did not look people up in the Blue Book). Also, I think it's important to prepare everything in advance, choose your units (and don't hesitate to send a lot of e-mails, if your profile matches the unit somehow, just send it! It can't hurt) and get a little info on every one of them in case they contact you with questions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angelapia

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:24 am

Hi Elanor!!!

Thank you for your prompt answer. I really want to get in the EU world but I have a really academic background and this internship may the only way to get there. So I am trying to get ready for March 2014!!!! Embarassed
Enjoy Belgian chocolate!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am

angelapia - have you considered other EU institutions then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
angelapia

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am

DutchBB, what do you mean by other EU institutions? I am one of those guinea pigs that has spent the last 5 years in a lab... not really aware of what there is out side the lab!!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am

There are other EU instructions where you could do a traineeship, for example the European Parlianent and the European Ombudsman. Just google Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
at86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am

angelapia, with your scientific background the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Control) could be fitting. They are a EU agency based in Stockholm and they also offer paid traineeships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EleonoraM.

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

Hi prox_n, thanks Smile see you soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:00 pm

I got an email from DG ENV on some inquiry I made to them. This is the info I just got:
"In ENV, we had to submit our selection by 29 May. Our Directorate will have two Trainees. There should be around 12 Trainees in the whole DG. You will be informed directly by the Traineeship Office is you have been selected by any unit of the Commission."

Now I believe I shouldn't be waiting for a call, but an email from the TO, cos I won't receive any call. Or I should start contacting other Units and DGs, too ... Any tip who to contact as an Environmental Engineer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
europe4all

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Does anybody know the date that the TO will inform us about the final selection?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elanor

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:13 pm

They told me end of June. Smile But no exact date.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
at86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm

...when it is confirmed that we have all had a nervous breakdown and ripped our hair out Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DutchBB

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Yess exactly. The dress code is bald
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hypoliminion

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm

To Jimmy 86:

Thanx a lot for the update!!!! Now I know that at least they are taking trainees this session)))) During the meeting with my master thesis supervisor could not think about anything else than the fact that DG ENV have already made their choice, there is nothing we can do now. Just wait. I guess this madness is truly contageous!!! What a Face

I would say you still can write couple of lobbying emails, it definitely won't hurt!!! Smile Maybe try DG research and development, they have one unit focusing on environment, gut I guess it depends on the area of your interest. What is your background if I may ask you? Rolling Eyes I am also an environmental engineer, but with strong focus on water treatment and a bit in water management and policies.

To all of EC candidates: haven't done it earlier, but still want to say to everybody congratulations with preselection and wish to all of you good luck and lots of patience!!! sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimmy.86

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm

@Hypolimnion
Well, two of the Units that replied said they've chosen their trainee, while for instance ENV.A.2 Waste Management and Recycling still haven't chosen anyone.

I wrote to Research and Development, cos I saw here in the forum that they were contacting some of the candidates. I also contacted CLIMA.

Anyway, as for my background, I am an Env. Engineer, as well. I was mainly focused on waste management throughout my studies since that is my interest in general, too. Apart from that I'd also point out cleaner production as something I have practical experience with.

Good to know we are not fighting for a seat in the same unit Razz Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ursula13

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Congrats to everyone who already made it and good luck to all of those who are still waiting for any answer! Smile Let's keep dreaming! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hypoliminion

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:14 am

@Jimmy.86

Ahaha!!! Thats true! But in any case fighting over the same spot (for other candidates) with people that are highly qualified makes it even more exciting. What a Face The only thing that might make the competition unfear is all this weird selection procedure without any certain frames for DGs and units on that stage (e.g. some units consider only candidates whi lobbied)... Well, lets hope for the best!!! Very Happy

I am curious to know how many people with engineering background apply to the trainee in general, especially like in our case Env. Engineers and if they are interested in us at all Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kasparuz

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi all,
I just wanted to tell that you should consider that not all selected trainees are necessarily interviewed or contacted beforehand. If it hadn´t been for an informal email I received from an assistant, informing me I had been selected but I shouldn´t tell HR I knew, I wouldn´t have known before the end of the month when the TO will send me the contract...hopefully Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ams47w

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:39 pm

i wonder if it's possible (maybe in a week or so?) to e-mail the TO and at least ask if they can tell us if we've been selected as any unit's preferred trainee. even without telling us which unit, and knowing that it doesn't guarantee some problem won't arise. would be good to just have some idea in order to plan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kasparuz

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 pm

It has been made clear that the outcome of the selection will be notified in June. I would advice against "harassing" the TO. Btw I wouldn't have done even if I hadn't known about me (if you're wondering Wink )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Positive answer   

Back to top Go down

Positive answer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next