Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lobbying and DG/Unit Information

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Montesian

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Alexia 007 wrote:
I got a positive answer for the DGT (translation). The lady told me she would send me an e-mail with all the information I need and the contacts of the other trainees by the end of the month, so it seems strange that they said they would give a definitive answer as from the 22nd of January.

As far as I understand, the only binding offer for all Commission trainees will be made by the Traineeship office on 22nd January - or around that date.
However it is quite possible that DGT has already finalized picking its trainees. While this is not binding for the Traineeship office, I was told that the formal offer by the Traineeship office is a mere formality, and that they could not recall any case where a trainee selected by a unit was rejected by the Traineeship office.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexia 007

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:51 pm

And can an e-mail be considered as binding, knowing that I haven't signed anything yet? I have to quit my job for this internship and I really don't want to take the risk to quit if I might not go to the DGT in the end...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nem0

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:20 am

Thanks for the info, Alexia! As a fellow translator, I'm getting pretty nervous as no-one's got in touch with me so far. Would you mind telling me which nationality you are (or which language you'll be translating into)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suaro006

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:36 am

Montesian wrote:
suaro006 wrote:
Hi there!

I got a call earlier and I was told that the selection process is not "first come, first served". If different institutions want you then the better match (candidate's profile+institution's profile) is the winning one. If you are picked up by 2 different institutions and you match with them equally then you are the one making the decision on which one you prefer to go with. Has anyone else got different information?

Yes I think it is true, at least you can get picked by multiple different institutions (but not by two units of the same one, eg 2x DG Trade). I was told, that you can "normally" choose which of the offers you want, but maybe this is only the "match them equally" case?!

I think you only get to choose if you match them equally, otherwise you do not have a say in the process...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
suaro006

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 am

Olga wrote:
Alchemist wrote:
suaro006 wrote:
Hi there!

I got a call earlier and I was told that the selection process is not "first come, first served". If different institutions want you then the better match (candidate's profile+institution's profile) is the winning one. If you are picked up by 2 different institutions and you match with them equally then you are the one making the decision on which one you prefer to go with. Has anyone else got different information?

Ok... well that is the complete opposite what they told me in an email. They told me that all directorates will start removing 'their' candidates on Monday, on a first come first serve basis and that they would only consider other candidates if their first choice wasn't available (ie booked by another dg before they could). But I hope you are right. Maybe there's still hope then.

Do you mean the shortlisted candidates or the "final" one, who will be selected for the traineeship?

I mean is it possible that a candidate can be shortlisted by more then 1 Unit?
My guess that that only applies to the final one, the candidates at the top of the DGs shortlists...and I would think there is no problem for being picked up by more than one unit within the same DG...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexia 007

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 am

@nem0: I will be translating into French and I was selected for an internship in Luxembourg but I got the reply two weeks ago. What about you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nem0

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:03 pm

Oh right, thanks! I'm also a native French speaker so that's not helping my edginess Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marije

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Montesian wrote:
Alexia 007 wrote:
I got a positive answer for the DGT (translation). The lady told me she would send me an e-mail with all the information I need and the contacts of the other trainees by the end of the month, so it seems strange that they said they would give a definitive answer as from the 22nd of January.

As far as I understand, the only binding offer for all Commission trainees will be made by the Traineeship office on 22nd January - or around that date.
However it is quite possible that DGT has already finalized picking its trainees. While this is not binding for the Traineeship office, I was told that the formal offer by the Traineeship office is a mere formality, and that they could not recall any case where a trainee selected by a unit was rejected by the Traineeship office.

I am also selected, by DG COMP! Very Happy They sent me some forms, among which a 'conflict of interest' declaration and they sent an email confirming my selection. January 22 takes a loonggg time :O Especially since I need to graduate, quit my job and find an appartment in Brussels. I am just going to go ahead with it, hoping the formal offer by Traineeship Office is indeed a mere formality...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adam123

PostSubject: whish-list??   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:14 pm

Hey guys,

so on friday i got a call from DG MARE Unit A/3: They are verry interested in my profile and they´ll put me on their "wish-list" if i would agree and the administration would contact me. The only problem, so they said is, that i´ve put as my area of interest "policy" and thats not exactly theirs field...but the final decission would be my choice. So i said:"sure i would agree to that offer! Besides that, the implementation is far more interesting for my studies."..so far so good. But what does it meen? Am i in now? What is this "Wish-List"? This waiting makes me go nuts....

(besides that: i was to nervous to ask the person i was talking to about her name and the signature of the DG-Unit....argh...so i guess by her desciption that she was from the A/3)

thx and cya hopefully in march in Brussels,

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marije

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Hey Adam,

That's weird, I've never heard of a Wish-List. I think every DG does it differently. I was contacted for a telephone interview and they called me afterwards to tell me I'm hired. Did DG MARE promise to keep you updated?

Marije
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adam123

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Marije wrote:
Hey Adam,

That's weird, I've never heard of a Wish-List. I think every DG does it differently. I was contacted for a telephone interview and they called me afterwards to tell me I'm hired. Did DG MARE promise to keep you updated?

Marije

Hey Marije,

The call i got was really verry informal. I got plenty of informations about their work and after i said i would be verry interessted in their field of work i was told that the human resources (or sth. like that) would contact me and i could then decide if i´ll take it or not. So no further contact, no updates, no "you are hired".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jvs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Alexia 007 wrote:
And can an e-mail be considered as binding, knowing that I haven't signed anything yet? I have to quit my job for this internship and I really don't want to take the risk to quit if I might not go to the DGT in the end...

Alexia, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. Got an offer from the DGT and have to quit my job for it.

To set you at ease, the wording of the e-mail sounded quite binding to me, but you could always contact them to be really really sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RegWeh

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been following your discussion for quite some time but it took me a while to finally have my account activated ;-)
So far I got two calls from EAC as well as EACEA and DG GROW replied that they will transfer my CV to the HR department of their DG. That was last week and so far I haven't heard anything yet. My two interviews went exactly the way you already described them. I was surprised how nice they were and how much information they provided on the actual work that the trainee would be expected to do.
They also told me that the final answer would be sent by the Traineeship Office in January.

Has anybody contacted DG Health and Consumers? If so, did you also notice that the trainee address didn't work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marije

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 pm

[/quote]

Hey Marije,

The call i got was really verry informal. I got plenty of informations about their work and after i said i would be verry interessted in their field of work i was told that the human resources (or sth. like that) would contact me and i could then decide if i´ll take it or not. So no further contact, no updates, no "you are hired".[/quote]

That sounds hopeful to be honest, especially since they say you can decide. If you've been told HR would contact you, the waiting game continues!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jvs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:00 pm

jvs wrote:
Alexia 007 wrote:

Alexia, I'm kind of in the same situation as you. Got an offer from the DGT and have to quit my job for it.

To set you at ease, the wording of the e-mail sounded quite binding to me, but you could always contact them to be really really sure.

Quoted from the pre-selection message "... only a written placement offer from the Traineeships Office will confirm that you have been selected as a trainee."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm

I suppose under the "wish list" they mean "list of shortlisted candidates". As it was stated before, this list usually contains 3 candidates...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexia 007

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:10 pm

@ jvs: congrats Smile will you be in Brussels or Luxembourg?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
int123

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi and congrats!

I'm preselected for the translation traineeship, so far no contacts and I'm getting stressed...

Can I ask what's your language? Bxl or Lx?

Thank you, hopefully see you soon... do you think if we are not contacted, we can still be in? or you need to get a call around before Christmas as a good sign?

quote="jvs"]
Alexia 007 wrote:

To set you at ease, the wording of the e-mail sounded quite binding to me, but you could always contact them to be really really sure.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smooothie

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:03 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all your updates!
have any of you been contacted by Units you didn't lobby? Esp EEAS/DEVCO/NEAR?
Unfortunately haven't heard anything myself...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alexia 007

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:17 pm

I did not lobby for the DGT and I was contacted so it surely depends on the directorate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chekhov45

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi guys, thanks to everyone for their inputs. This forum has been very useful to me throughout the whole process.

I received a call last Thursday from DG TRADE. My interview was quite different than those described in previous comments. In fact it was quite tough, as the interviewer asked me about specific policies and potential future developments as regards trade with other countries. So my advice is to read carefully the website of your DG of choice. They also told me they would let me know at the start of this week, but I haven't head from them since.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marije

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi,

My interview was quite tough too, they asked me about specific topics regarding competition policies, what my thesis was about and they asked details of cases I wrote about. To make matters even worse, they switched to French and then to Spanish. Luckily they were simply testing my language skills and I was able to answer them. So if you filed several languages in your application, be prepared to use it!
Also, I was called to schedule the interview, so I had a whole day to prepare for it, which is totally recommendable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alex-marseille

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:01 pm

chekhov45 wrote:
Hi guys, thanks to everyone for their inputs. This forum has been very useful to me throughout the whole process.

I received a call last Thursday from DG TRADE. My interview was quite different than those described in previous comments. In fact it was quite tough, as the interviewer asked me about specific policies and potential future developments as regards trade with other countries. So my advice is to read carefully the website of your DG of choice. They also told me they would let me know at the start of this week, but I haven't head from them since.

Hi Checkhov,
I was wondering what Unit you were interviewed for? I also lobbied DG Trade and received a response from a Policy Officer saying she'd transfer my application to the Head of Unit. However, that was about 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them since.

Thanks,
Alexandra
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chekhov45

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:12 pm

alex-marseille wrote:
chekhov45 wrote:

Hi Checkhov,
I was wondering what Unit you were interviewed for? I also lobbied DG Trade and received a response from a Policy Officer saying she'd transfer my application to the Head of Unit. However, that was about 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them since.

Thanks,
Alexandra

Hi Alexandra. I was interviewed for Unit E2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiaraors

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I am impressed by the quantity of positive news shared here! Good guys!
I haven't heard anything, apart from a DG which won't have trainees for the next session.

Has anyone a different perspective from DG HOME?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jvs

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:41 pm

@ Alexia and int123:

Mother tongue is Dutch and the offer was for Brussels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
b00tsi3

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks for the update to everyone!
In the past session, somebody made a group on Facebook, which was very useful as more candidates could be reached out and more information was shared about this phase of the admission process. To continue this, I created a closed, unofficial group for the next session, feel free to join: EC Traineeship March 2016

Smooothie wrote:
have any of you been contacted by Units you didn't lobby? Esp EEAS/DEVCO/NEAR?
Unfortunately haven't heard anything myself...

I have the same question. In the last session EEAS units/divisions were not making any formal interviews over the phone; apparently they just select their own candidates based on the "facts".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
diam

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:30 pm

int123 wrote:
Hi and congrats!

I'm preselected for the translation traineeship, so far no contacts and I'm getting stressed...

Can I ask what's your language? Bxl or Lx?

Thank you, hopefully see you soon... do you think if we are not contacted, we can still be in? or you need to get a call around before Christmas as a good sign?

Hello!

Same here. I was preselected but nothing so far Sad at least I hope they will inform us asap if we are not selected. I don't wanna wait til mid January...

Do you know how can we contact DG Translation or/and the language unit we are interested?

I have contacted DGT-STAGES-CONTACT but they have not replied to my e-mail yet. Neutral  I guess they are too busy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
after

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey people,
How are you?
I am here just to have some opinions, but I am pretty aware that I haven't been selected.

I sent out my lobbying email after the pre-pre-selection, then after 3 weeks with no reply I sent another to check if they got the first and I just got 2 replies, then a call from one of these Units (they said they appreciated the emails and considered them as a sign of interest...) but after I was selected for the Blue book... nothing. After they told me I made it till the Blue book, I just sent an email to the general addresses (just 2, the only 2 Dpts. I am interested in).

So, although I think most if not all Units have already made their choices, I was wondering what you think about sending out a third round of emails. I know it is late, considering when they said aboiut the Blue book, but so far I thought a third email would have been too much, while now I a bit more of the "I have nothing to loose" opinion.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marije

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 pm

I would say you have nothing to lose! Especially since I know not every DG selects with the same speed. I'm selected by DG COMP but was also interested in DG FISMA. I lobbyd both of them and had to notify my contract that I already had an offer. He said DG FISMA had just found out which units were entitled to a trainee... This is just an example, don't know what dg you're interested in. But give it a try I would say!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying and DG/Unit Information   

Back to top Go down

Lobbying and DG/Unit Information
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next