Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Preselection Date

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Guillem

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 pm

@Stan(Non-EU)

I've applied twice before and got selected twice

Now 3dr application and I'm 3pts below threshold whereas my application was stronger with an increased work experience.

This is just a big joke, it is a lottery. A little bit more of transparency would be welcomed.

Good luck if you apply next session
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vespa86

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:18 pm

Stan(Non-EU) wrote:
For last year's March session I applied and succeeded. And now, the same application + obtained PhD and ... "6 points below the threshold". How the hell could it be? I am so angry and disappointed.

I know, it's so random and opaque.. I only have a bachelor's and a master's degree and a couple of internships and languages and am 1 point below the threshold. I just think it really has to do with luck as well. But it's just annoying because that threshold thing just doesn't tell anything about the procedure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lcf99

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 pm

well I just got an update
"Your score was 4 points below the threshold."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stan(Non-EU)

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Guys, since I am a lawyer, I have an idea to send a legal request to EC to clarify the basis for their decision, since it seems to be illegal to take such random decisions.
I have spent a lot of time preparing this fckn applications.
It is just not right, it is not a lottery, it should not work like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm

I received a message at 14:02 informing me that I was not selected. It specified the number of points below the threshold, but as I can't relly make out what the scoring system is and my total score or cutoff poitn is not given, that information is meaningless. I also don't know how it is possible to challenge the results since »The Traineeships Office does not have the power to change these decisions except in cases where it can be proven that the committees did not act in accordance with the evaluation procedures,« and i can't really know any of that with the information I have.
I'll probably send them an email and ask them fur a more concrete explanation of the scoring of my application
Back to top Go down
View user profile
COP

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:32 pm

ansich wrote:
I received a message at 14:02 informing me that I was not selected. It specified the number of points below the threshold, but as I can't relly make out what the scoring system is and my total score or cutoff poitn is not given, that information is meaningless. I also don't know how it is possible to challenge the results since »The Traineeships Office does not have the power to change these decisions except in cases where it can be proven that the committees did not act in accordance with the evaluation procedures,« and i can't really know any of that with the information I have.
I'll probably send them an email and ask them fur a more concrete explanation of the scoring of my application

I've just sent an email asking about the "thresold"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:38 pm

I asked them for more detailed information as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guillem

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:58 pm

I have send a message as well, will be posting the answer here
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Interstellar

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:05 pm

18 points below threshold... Laughing
I have a master's degree and speak 4 different languages (two of them are the working languages of European commission). How the hell is that even possible?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:20 pm

it seems that they are setting a very high standard or emphasizing just certain aspects of a candidate's overall experience. Which is strange, since the number of candidates is lower than in the semesters of previous years. Sure, in March of the last year the number of EU-applicants was almost the same as this year, but on other years it was usually a couple of thousand higher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Interstellar

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Does anyone know how the grading system works? What was the threshold for this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stan(Non-EU)

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:23 pm

@Interstellar

Ideal candidate for the traineeship:
Speaks 6 languages, mastery level C2
Director of the company with an annual turnover around 100mio EUR
Recently graduated from university

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stan(Non-EU)

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:26 pm

It's my fourth time. Ok, I am ready to bribe someone, whom should I address?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vespa86

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Interstellar wrote:
I have a master's degree and speak 4 different languages (two of them are the working languages of European commission). How the hell is that even possible?

What? No way! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guillem

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Interstellar wrote:

Same as you but 6pts below... Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roeslein

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:57 pm

I understand that they need trainees with a wide range of backgrounds, and apparently many applicants have degrees in law, economics, etc. So perhaps if you're e.g. a scientist or engineer the requirements are slightly lower as there are fewer applicants with those skills?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoMoreWords

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:57 pm

I have been pre-selected but I'll likely fail to prove my language certifications. Now I feel like I stole someone else place.
Just some data...the success rate (based on un-clear and discretional evaluations) in EU commission traineeship (5 months contract, minum wage, no chances to get hired) is below 5%
The success rate to pass the diplomatic exam (a clear test with celar subjects and clear evaluation system) in my country is 4.5%. Once you got in you're hired, 2.500 quids per month...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:53 pm

That is why I find this system very strange. Everyone should just send documents with their application. Then, the people at TO can still just look at applications themselves first and check the chosen applicants against their documentation; and if some of those are found to be incompatible with provided proofs, they would just replace the vacant space with a new applicant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:25 pm

Considering the fact that we are clueless as to how the treshold is calculated, it may be interesting to see more of the specific outcomes for our individual applications here on this forum.

This way we can at least get some idea of what they look for and whether it is highly country or field of study specific and such.

I applied for the first time with a very weak application:

Belgian national with a foreign bachelor of laws in European Union law. Languages: English and Dutch with basic French. I did not state any work experience as I read that only work experience of at least 2 consecutive months (& on a full time basis) were considered appropriate to include in the application form.

Outcome: 9 points short for the treshold.
Back to top Go down
LeireO

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Reading the forum, it looks like nationality might indeed have lots of influence, otherwise I really cannot explain how people with PhD and relevant work experience can be rejected when I got pre-selected without even a Master's degree. Either nationality has a major role or the whole thing is a lottery. The second option does not seem that unlikely either though.

I included 7 languages, although two of them on a very basic level. My work experience is rather weak, one voluntary activity, a semester as a Teaching Assistant and a semester doing some administrative job at university. At first I was delighted with the pre-selection, but right now I can only feel guilty as @NoMoreWords mentioned due to the possibility that I might have problems proving what I wrote in the application (even if I did not lie) :/

Is there any possibility that they substract points to older candidates, or give bonuses to younger ones?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:54 pm

It's possible, but we are not privy to more detailed information about the selection process or how different attributes are scored, except the general outline, given on the Traineeship page:
Quote :
Once the application period has closed, potential candidates will undergo the first phase of the pre-selection for the Blue Book, i.e. assessment of applications.

Candidates are anonymously evaluated in the assessment phase by two different evaluators, on the basis of following criteria:

Level of education (a full university degree of at least three years of studies is mandatory);
   Language level in one of the three European Commission working/procedural languages (English, French, German) other than your mother tongue/s (mandatory);
   Language level in the remaining European official languages and/or non EU-languages, if applicable;
   Relevance of work experience, if applicable;
   International profile - experience of living/working abroad (mobility);
   Motivation and quality of reasoning;
   IT Skills, organisational skills, publications and rare domains of study.

If they successfully pass the first phase of the pre-selection, candidates are "pre-identified" and admitted to the second phase of the pre-selection, i.e. verification of supporting documents/eligibility check.

For the level of education, candidates can send:

the certificate/s with the final grade/s clearly mentioned;
   the Europass Diploma Supplement, if available;
   university transcripts.

The latter are accepted as only proof for the level of education if the certificate/s is/are not available, but only if the date of degree and the final mark awarded are clearly mentioned.

We accept diplomas in all 24 official EU languages. If they are written in a non-EU official language, a translation in one of the 24 official EU languages (possibly in English, French or German) must be attached. No certified translations are required but highly appreciated.

Up to three relevant work experiences can be mentioned in the application. Only work experience that is related to the profile that is selected and lasted, uninterruptedly, more than 6 weeks should be declared. Traineeships made during university courses are already assessed as part of the education and shall not be mentioned as work experiences.

Applying to the Blue Book programme does not prevent candidates from applying to other EU traineeship schemes in other institutions at the same time. However, if they decide to do a traineeship of more than 6 weeks (or a period of 42 calendar days) of in-service training or work (paid or unpaid) for any of the European institutions, bodies or agencies, in EU-delegations or for Members of Parliament (MEPs), they will no longer be eligible for the Blue Book.

If the supporting documents match the declarations in the application, candidates successfully pass the eligibility check and are introduced in the Blue Book. If the supporting documents are insufficient, incomplete and/or do not match exactly the declarations in the application, candidates fail the eligibility check and are not included in the Blue Book.

Once in the Blue Book, different EC units can then see the applications of the candidates and, potentially, select them as trainees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 pm

Yes, they provide us with the criteria which they take into account. Yet the statement: you are not accepted because you have x points below the treshold is very silly if you don't know how the treshold was set, how many points are granted for studies/for languages/for work experience, against how many people was the applicant competing, and was the applicant competing against people of the same nationality or perhaps within the same main field of study?

We know absolutely nothing. It's even kind of ridiculous if you think about it. You come x points short for the treshold. haha. What's the treshold ?... how many 'points' would you actually need per criterion on average to meet the treshold? and how do these 'points' translate in reality.

For instance how do they balance an LLM in EU law against an MSc in Biology or do these get the same points for example. Do they only look at the highest level in the education framework (master being a 7, bachelor a 6, phd 8 ) you reached or is the field of study more relevant for example.

Maybe the different units already have an idea of how many people they want from a specific field of study, thereby rejecting other applicants easier/giving them a lower amount of points. This may go too far but hey who knows right..

Last edited by incognito4life on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
candidate

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Guys, I have been where many of you are now concerning the EC traineeship application and what I can advise you is to let it go if you are not selected. I have applied 4 times in total and did not even make it to the blue book despite enhancing skills, education and experience along the way.

We all like the prospect of working at an institution like the EC, but let's face the facts and numbers. Each year there are 1,200 places for the Commission alone whereas there are around 30,000 applications annually (around 15, 000 per session, sometimes more). This translates into 1 happy candidate per 24 dissatisfied ones, roughly calculated. As you can see, the boat of disappointed ones is a little crowded while the one heading for the EC can swing a party there alone.

That said, I admit that the whole assessment process can be way more transparent, even though I presume it was deliberately made unclear so that not selected ones would not file complaints for not getting in. I mean if it was all transparent, graduates of Oxbridge, the Ivy League and other top unis would have an advantage over those who have not even left their country. Anyway, do not let that email make you feel down, dejected and angry - it is no use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:42 pm

I think that pretty much anyone that has not been pre-identified or pre-selected will have to let go at some point or another. And it is probably extremely rare that evaluation procedures are not followed. But as it stands, right know nobody even has a chance to have ground for appeal.
It would just be better if you would get a little more detail about the outcome – they have this data, because you had to be processed and it would helpful for those that were rejected, as they would be able to see in which areas they are lacking if they wanted to apply again. And it would be nicer overall Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
candidate

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:55 pm

What I have learned is that there is no 'the threshold', there are many thresholds which are different every year. In other words, every country has been given a benchmark score according to the qualifications of the best applicants from that country in the specific session. The EC prefers candidates with many languages and they will also meticulously analyse your motivation letter. Having said that, I have heard of Bachelor degree students with limited experience getting in. So I guess you need a wink from fortuna in the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roeslein

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Honestly, 4% success rate is really high in my book. None of the jobs I've ever applied for had this kind of success rate! Once you remove all the people who don't meet the criteria, will flake out, find another job, or didn't fill their application properly - that leaves you with a pretty decent chance.

My understanding is that informally folks with skill sets which are underrepresented among candidates (i.e. business, engineering, science, etc.) may be somewhat  favoured as clearly the Commission needs a broad range of backgrounds, not just lawyers or economists. Clearly extensive international experience helps: if someone is only there for 5 months, you can't afford to take on a person who's never worked in a multicultural context before - there just isn't time to train them. And of course citizenship plays a part. I understand your application is rated by someone from your own country, and I suspect there are (at least informal) quotas to preserve some kind of representation of all member states.

I would hope that motivation is taken into account as well - hopefully folks who actually wish to serve and make a convincing case that their specific, unique skill set will allow them to contribute meaningfully are taken more seriously than those who just want an extra line on their CV and "exposure to an international environment".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I hear you candidate & ansich.

It's just strange in my opinion how an applicant is only given this one sentence: you're x points short to meet the treshold, while they don't really disclose any info on what the treshold is/how they have set it.

I fully understand what you're saying candidate, but still, to use that 'x points short sentence' as the reason for failure can just never be justified, considering that not a single applicant out of those 1000's of applicants can understand where he fell short in his application. If they want to give you a reason for why you were not selected, then I at least expect an actual reason that we can understand. We're talking about the EU Commission here, not some local fishing shop.
Back to top Go down
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Yes, I agree completely
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: SAME PROBLEM-First time applying   Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:12 am

dreydrey wrote:
I got rejected because I

"do not possess the required language knowledge for an administrative traineeship (see point 2.2.2. of the Rules governing the official traineeships scheme of the European Commission (Commission Decision of 2.03.2005 - C(2005)458))"

while by mistake I wrote French as mother tongue and English as well as mother tongue...

but Article 2.2.2 of the rules governing the official traineeships scheme of the European Commission must be interpreted as excluding the mother tongue/s, which is/are not assessed with points in the first phase of the pre-selection exercise. Points are awarded on the basis of merits.

so stupid....well I know it for next time

DreyDrey I think I did the same mistake too-I put English, Spanish, Italian and French as mother tongue languages. I've always lived in Italy and have Italian parents-but I studied these languages at a really high level which is why I assumed it was ok to write "mother tongue..." Do you think we should send an email in order to understand if this was the problem-I haven't been preselected either? (I just sent you a private message Smile )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 am

ansich wrote:

Me too...I just sent them an email asking more info on the number of points I lost-not because I don't trust them but because I'd really like to improve in the areas which I lost points in -_-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   

Back to top Go down

Preselection Date
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next