Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Preselection Date

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:21 am

Stan(Non-EU) wrote:
Guys, since I am a lawyer, I have an idea to send a legal request to EC to clarify the basis for their decision, since it seems to be illegal to take such random decisions.
I have spent a lot of time preparing this fckn applications.
It is just not right, it is not a lottery, it should not work like this.

If they don't answer any of our emails asking for clarifications by the end of this month I'm with you Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:34 am

Hello, it's my first time applying for the administrative traineeship (Education and Culture, Secretariat-General, Migration and Home Affairs for Inter-Institutional Relations) but I haven't been preselected.

The email said that I was 5 points below the threshold (is that a lot?). I'd really like to understand which areas I lost points in (work experience, international profile, motivation and so on) so does anyone know to whom I should send an email? Moreover does anyone know how to see what the national threshold was (I'm Italian)? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viktoriia

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 am

Paola123 wrote:
Hello, it's my first time applying for the administrative traineeship (Education and Culture, Secretariat-General, Migration and Home Affairs for Inter-Institutional Relations) but I haven't been preselected.

The email said that I was 5 points below the threshold (is that a lot?). I'd really like to understand which areas I lost points in (work experience, international profile, motivation and so on) so does anyone know to whom I should send an email? Moreover does anyone know how to see what the national threshold was (I'm Italian)? Thanks.
I applied 3 times before I finally got preselected for the first time. So I can make a conclusion that getting an internship matters for them, in my case it was a 5 months internship in the International Office of the university. Also I guess what matters is having at least two languages besides your mother tongue at C1 or higher level. That's my personal impression
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:57 am

viktoriia wrote:
Paola123 wrote:

I applied 3 times before I finally got preselected for the first time. So I can make a conclusion that getting an internship matters for them, in my case it was a 5 months internship in the International Office of the university. Also I guess what matters is having at least two languages besides your mother tongue at C1 or higher level. That's my personal impression

Thank you very much for your reply! I never had an internship-this was supposed to be my first one Sad Do you think something along the lines of an Amnesty International traineeship would be all right (my uni doesn't offer any traineeships)? As for languages I learnt three languages besides my mother tongue at C2, and another one at B1-I think the problem must have been the internship or international mobility: do you think that going on Erasmus would count a lot? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:43 am

Nobody knows, because we don't know how the scoring system works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elena_spain

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:39 am

Hi everyone,

One more wiht 1 point below the threshold!!!! Crying or Very sad I´ve sent them an email asking for some feedback on my application..... Only 1 point is really frustrating, anyway, I really don´t know if this could be a big diffence with the ones that have just passed the threshold. I´ve applied for an administrative intership in budget,accountancy or similars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:03 pm

elena_spain wrote:
Hi everyone,

One more wiht 1 point below the threshold!!!! Crying or Very sad   I´ve sent them an email asking for some feedback on my application..... Only 1 point is really frustrating, anyway, I really don´t know if this could be a big diffence with the ones that have just passed the threshold. I´ve applied for an administrative intership in budget,accountancy or similars.

I sent an email too...To which email did you sent the message to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viktoriia

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 pm

Paola123 wrote:
viktoriia wrote:
Paola123 wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply! I never had an internship-this was supposed to be my first one Sad Do you think something along the lines of an Amnesty International traineeship would be all right (my uni doesn't offer any traineeships)? As for languages I learnt three languages besides my mother tongue at C2, and another one at B1-I think the problem must have been the internship or international mobility: do you think that going on Erasmus would count a lot? Smile
Yes, I think international profile matters quite a lot. Indeed, what could also change my profile since last three times is my second Erasmus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

viktoriia wrote:
Paola123 wrote:
viktoriia wrote:
Paola123 wrote:

Yes, I think international profile matters quite a lot. Indeed, what could also change my profile since last three times is my second Erasmus.

Thank you very much Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elena_spain

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59 pm

I wrote it to the email that is in the pre-selection message: eac-stages@....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 pm

elena_spain wrote:
I wrote it to the email that is in the pre-selection message: eac-stages@....

Me too! I'll keep you informed on if they answer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marine92

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry for the ones who haven't been preselected, and I hope you'll be able to get an answer to your questions, soon.
This stage does not really signify anything as only 1/5 person will actually make it to the EC.

Though, for the ones that use facebook regularly (as I do ^^), what about creating a group? They did it during the previous sessions, and I think it's easier to communicate on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:35 pm

Marine92 wrote:
Hi,

I'm sorry for the ones who haven't been preselected, and I hope you'll be able to get an answer to your questions, soon.
This stage does not really signify anything as only 1/5 person will actually make it to the EC.

Though, for the ones that use facebook regularly (as I do ^^), what about creating a group? They did it during the previous sessions, and I think it's easier to communicate on it.

I agree Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Marine92 wrote:
Hi,

Do you have a source of info for the claim that they take 5x as many candidates in pre-identification as will be finally recruited? If that is so, then the high criteria for getting chosen seems even stranger.

One of the advantages of this forum over Facebook is anonymity. The disadvantage is, as you mentioned, the somewhat more cumbersome form of communication.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marine92

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm

[/quote]

Do you have a source of info for the claim that they take 5x as many candidates in pre-identification as will be finally recruited? If that is so, then the high criteria for getting chosen seems even stranger.

One of the advantages of this forum over Facebook is anonymity. The disadvantage is, as you mentioned, the somewhat more cumbersome form of communication.[/quote]

It's actually 1/4, my mistake.
On the 2000 identified on the bluebook, only 600 will make it to the EC.
It's written on the EC website in the "recruitment process".

I have been preselected at the last session. I was part of the 17 preselected french translators, and only 2 were selected in the end.

Last edited by Marine92 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks, I forgot about that part of the website Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoMoreWords

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:03 pm

There is only one solution...more public spending and more EU Comm internships (and better paid why not?)
"Say it loud say it proud we're all keyenesian now"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baionarra

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:54 pm

Hey guys!

I just stumbled upon this forum and I know how hard it is not to have any reliable information, so I will chip in with my experience:

Non-eu national, doing (not finished) my master's in europe. several years of working experience in different countries. 2 C1 certificates and 1 B2. I got pre-selected (plus mother tongue of a eu language). This is the first time that I apply. Received the e-mail on monday morning.

I filled out my application meticulously in order to provide the correct documents in case I got selected, however you guys are making me nervous that I may have screwed up in something. I already sent them, so let's see what happens.

One question, so in theory the pre-selected are basically the 2,000-2,500 that will be in the blue book, unless they screw up the verification part?

Somebody said that now that he/she has a PhD they weren't pre-selected. I think there's such a thing as being overqualified and it may depend also on age...

Well, this is all I got, have a good one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roeslein

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:36 am

Baionarra wrote:

Somebody said that now that he/she has a PhD they weren't pre-selected. I think there's such a thing as being overqualified and it may depend also on age...

Not sure about this. I have a PhD and was pre-selected (first attempt), I am in my late 20s. I also have industry experience and have lived/worked in 5 countries. I declared 5 languages for which I am properly certified (one at C2 level, three at B2 level and one at B1 level - although the B1 is not a EU language so not sure if it counts.)

I know several people who did Blue Book traineeships after (or sometimes during) their PhD and/or in their late 20s or even early 30s. It's not that unusual for people do this as part of a career shift strategy. I don't think being "overqualified" or age are issues as such (why on earth would they turn up their nose at affordable expertise?), as long as you're looking to serve and to learn - and someone who is willing to leave a stable job / take a 5-month sabbatical and divide their income by four probably does!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baionarra

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:11 am

[quote="Roeslein"]
Baionarra wrote:

I don't think being "overqualified" or age are issues as such (why on earth would they turn up their nose at affordable expertise?), as long as you're looking to serve and to learn - and someone who is willing to leave a stable job / take a 5-month sabbatical and divide their income by four probably does!

You're right about what you wrote before, there may be several different profiles which may be interesting and they get pre-selected. But if you select a lot of "overqualified" candidates, it may be interpreted as going against the principles of the program (provide young professionals with relevant work experience), this is what I'm refering to mainly. Obviously always speculating, but I think there may be a threshold in which being that much qualified starts to become more of a liability or something that you have to compensate with other things in your profile. I.E. If you have certain age, level of education, you would be expected to have more things in your CV... so if you see it objectively, other person may be selected while being less qualified.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paola123

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:29 am

Baionarra wrote:
Hey guys!

I just stumbled upon this forum and I know how hard it is not to have any reliable information, so I will chip in with my experience:

Non-eu national, doing (not finished) my master's in europe. several years of working experience in different countries. 2 C1 certificates and 1 B2. I got pre-selected (plus mother tongue of a eu language). This is the first time that I apply. Received the e-mail on monday morning.

I filled out my application meticulously in order to provide the correct documents in case I got selected, however you guys are making me nervous that I may have screwed up in something. I already sent them, so let's see what happens.

One question, so in theory the pre-selected are basically the 2,000-2,500 that will be in the blue book, unless they screw up the verification part?

Well, this is all I got, have a good one!

Thanks for sharing the info Smile I don't mean to be too nosy, it's my first time applying too and I wasn't preselected-could I ask you what kind of work experience you did (was it related to the traineeship which you applied for)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roeslein

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:51 am

Baionarra wrote:
Roeslein wrote:
Baionarra wrote:

I don't think being "overqualified" or age are issues as such (why on earth would they turn up their nose at affordable expertise?), as long as you're looking to serve and to learn - and someone who is willing to leave a stable job / take a 5-month sabbatical and divide their income by four probably does!

You're right about what you wrote before, there may be several different profiles which may be interesting and they get pre-selected. But if you select a lot of "overqualified" candidates, it may be interpreted as going against the principles of the program (provide young professionals with relevant work experience), this is what I'm refering to mainly. Obviously always speculating, but I think there may be a threshold in which being that much qualified starts to become more of a liability or something that you have to compensate with other things in your profile. I.E. If you have certain age, level of education, you would be expected to have more things in your CV... so if you see it objectively, other person may be selected while being less qualified.

I see your point. Obviously you should have made the most of whatever time you've had - but most of the time that's the case for someone for who just got their PhD, unless of course they were sitting in the program for 7 years. Very Happy

I just don't want people reading this to think "I got a PhD and now I'm 28 or 29, my chance to do this is gone" because that's not the case!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ansich

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:13 am

It depends on what overqualified means. If it means just attained level of education than dismissing »overqualified« candidates would seem extremely unfair and would punish them for continuing with their studies. A lot of times doing a proper PhD makes it practically impossible to get any other work experience. And the job market in academia is such, that there are scarcely any jobs available, especially in humanities and/or social studies areas. If it mean overqualified in the amount of work experience, than that is another matter.

But again, all talk about dismissing or penalising overqualified candidates is just speculation, as we have no detailed information on scoring and setting treshold point levels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marble

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm one of the lucky ones who've been pre-identified for the administrative traineeship. After reading through your posts, it seems to me that luck plays a role indeed in this whole application process.

I've got a question regarding my documents I need to upload. Some details need further clarification, otherwise it may look like the information in the document is different from the information I provided in the application form. To avoid confusion, do you think it's better to include a note in the PDF that's going to be uploaded or write them an e-mail instead and explain everything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Silvernight

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

I was also wondering whether I might count as 'overqualified'. However, this is my first attempt at applying and I got pre-identified. Language knowledge and education-wise I don't seem to be all that outstanding, some people posting here talk about knowing 5 and more languages, I have only 4, one of which is non-EU, bachelor's in languages and master's in translation studies. Plus ~8 years of working experience (specifically in the field I'm applying for - translation of EU documents), maybe that was a bonus, I don't know. I was a bit worried whether it is a good or a bad thing (may possibly be considered overqualified). However, no international experience. Also I'm in my early thirties. This selection process is really a total mystery, it seems people are getting selected with completely different profiles, like a lottery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viktoriia

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:21 pm

marble wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm one of the lucky ones who've been pre-identified for the administrative traineeship. After reading through your posts, it seems to me that luck plays a role indeed in this whole application process.

I've got a question regarding my documents I need to upload. Some details need further clarification, otherwise it may look like the information in the document is different from the information I provided in the application form. To avoid confusion, do you think it's better to include a note in the PDF that's going to be uploaded or write them an e-mail instead and explain everything?
I think it's much better to include it into the PDF, as you don't know if the person reading your email will be the same person later evaluating your application docs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olghetta

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Guys, has anyone got an answer from the TO commission explaining the treshold system? Did you receive any personalized feedback or any reply at all? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
azharm

PostSubject: Uploading supporting documents   Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi guys,

Can anyone share their experience while uploading supporting documents? I have uploaded pdf file and just message "Upload completed" appeared on the screen, but I haven't received any confirmation and cannot find them at my ECAS account.

Thanks,
Have a nice weekends!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
viktoriia

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 pm

azharm wrote:
Hi guys,

Can anyone share their experience while uploading supporting documents? I have uploaded pdf file and just message "Upload completed" appeared on the screen, but I haven't received any confirmation and cannot find them at my ECAS account.

Thanks,
Have a nice weekends!
Hey,

From what I read in the previous sessions' forum, check if it still offers you to upload documents. If it doesn't, then system already accepted them. probably, not sure though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baionarra

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 pm

viktoriia wrote:
azharm wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Have a nice weekends!
Hey,

From what I read in the previous sessions' forum, check if it still offers you to upload documents. If it doesn't, then system already accepted them. probably, not sure though

When you go into the message asking you to send your documents (and where you send them) the message "You already sent your supporting documents on XX/XX/2016" should appear instead of the button that let you send the documents... At least that's how it worked for me...

I guess we won't know if the documents are valid or not until december, with the rest of the people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preselection Date   

Back to top Go down

Preselection Date
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next