Traineeships in Brussels and Luxemburg

For all past, present and future stagiaires doing their internship in the European institutions

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Lobbying/Emails/Interviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mandi

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi everyone.

After being interviewed by two DGs on the 14th and 15th I couldn't wait any longer so I send an e-mail to the Traineeship Office to see if they could tell me if I was selected.

I received a one line answer, saying that I am on the reservation list of X. I am now confused by the terminology...

Does this mean that I am selected or that I am short-listed by the DG or that I am on a reserve list (kept as a back-up if someone declines a place)?

I would be very grateful if someone familiar with their wording could provide any more information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nonEUbürgerin

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:35 am

Shai1 wrote:
Hello! Congratulations to all those selected!

I'm a non-EU applicant and haven't been contacted yet. I lobbied on the 15th-17th and it seems the selections were already done by the 15th! Wondering if there's any non-EU applicant who's been contacted?

Hey there,
bit out of a topic but I am also a non-EU applicant with a worse situation though. I was among one of those 'lucky' people who did not pass the eligibility check, while not uploading their supporting documents. I guess you might saw the whole discussion on this topic going on around. To make a long story short, after the re-submission of my documents I after all got the message stating I was pre-selected for the March Session on 23rd of December. One day before Christmas, one week after the official closing selection date, sounds like a nice joke, right? Not even sure if the whole lobbying thing would make sense now, did actually anyone ever heard of still contacting the DGs of interest in January? Or it is a good sign I should of start working on my new application already (for October Session 2017)? I got a feeling all of the spots are already gone.

Cheers, Lena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gagelea.george

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:28 am

someone reserved for EU DG NEAR A1-A4?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai1

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks for responding everyone!! So I guess there's still some hope...Would you recommend sending further emails (since I haven't been contacted at all yet) or is simply the one email enough for lobbying? I wrote quite a pertinent email I thought and there isn't much more left for me to write....but perhaps just some short emails asking about the status? What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
essess

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Hey all! Which email did you use to get in touch with the traineeship office? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdefg

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm

essess wrote:
Hey all! Which email did you use to get in touch with the traineeship office? Thanks!

Or does anyone know the phone number of the Traineeship Office? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Hey!

I have finally got the guts to write an e-mail to the TO (to Eac-Stages@ec.europa.eu, which was sending out all of the notifications etc.) and got a reply 30 min later. It said that after verification they confirm I am on the reservation list of X and then "...normally it should not change anymore, however please note that only the official placement offer sent by the Traineeship Office (end of January) will be final and binding."

Correct me if I am wrong, but because of that last paragraph I assume that the reservation list is not a reserve list, but the real thing scratch To sum this up, writing to the TO directly pays off, especially if you feel unconfortable unnecessarily contacting the units, but it might still leave you confused. All the best in this new year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mandi

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 pm

xvero wrote:
Hey!

I have finally got the guts to write an e-mail to the TO (to Eac-Stages @ ec.europa.eu, which was sending out all of the notifications etc.) and got a reply 30 min later. It said that after verification they confirm I am on the reservation list of X and then "...normally it should not change anymore, however please note that only the official placement offer sent by the Traineeship Office (end of January) will be final and binding."

Correct me if I am wrong, but because of that last paragraph I assume that the reservation list is not a reserve list, but the real thing scratch To sum this up, writing to the TO directly pays off, especially if you feel unconfortable unnecessarily contacting the units, but it might still leave you confused. All the best in this new year!

Hi.

I received the absolute same e-mail and after thinking about it for a couple of days I'm inclined to think that we're on the "real thing" but I don't know whether this means that you are someone's 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Hmm. Maybe I got happy too soon, but if we are not their 1st choice, there's no reason they would be saying that this should not change, is there? Unless they mean that most units have already done their selection. I thought units only reserve their 1st choices, the rest of shortlisted candidates become available for others.

Since they also said resevation list of a DG, I just presumed this means a list with reserved candidates for individual units.

You are right though, it is confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Has anybody received an answer from the TO clearly confirming your reservation by a unit or is this their standard reply?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marble

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:10 pm

xvero wrote:
Has anybody received an answer from the TO clearly confirming your reservation by a unit or is this their standard reply?

I received the same message. The official placement offers will be sent out around the 23rd ... Guess we'll have to wait until then to be sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Probably of interest to many, I have ran across an evaluation of the traineeship scheme from 2008:
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/education_culture/more_info/evaluations/docs/general/stage_en.pdf
While for sure it might be outdated in many aspects, it is overall in interesting read and provides answers to many of our past and current questions.

Here is what it says about the reservation list in several excerpts:
It is the Trainee co-ordinator who makes reservations of individual Trainees in the VBB and provides the reservation list, signed by the Head of their DG's Human Resources unit, to the TO.

4. The unit signals its final selection to the Trainee Co-ordinator, who alone is able to make reservations in the VBB... The Trainee Co-ordinator organises approval of the final list of Trainees in their DG by the Head of their Human Resources unit.
5. The approved list of selected Trainees for the DG is then sent to the Traineeships Office, which enters the information into the system. Once this list has been sent to Traineeships Office, it cannot be changed. The contract offers are then sent to the candidates by the gestionnaires, together with a list of annexes (administrative and information documents).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeireO

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Smile

Christmas is over and this confusing and ambiguous selection process goes on! I was contacted by a unit today, had an interview and a few minutes after I got the following email:

I am delighted to inform you that we are planning to offer you a traineeship at X.

Can you confirm to us in writing (please reply to all) at your earliest convenience, but not later than 10:00 am Monday, 9 January 2017, that you are still interested in taking the traineeship in our Unit.

We are aware that another Commission service has also shown interest in working with you as a trainee. Therefore I have to ask you if you have a preference for X (as indicated in your application). We need your reply clearly stating your preference for administrative reasons, in order to finalise the selection procedure.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

It looks like good news, but this is the EC (many emails I have got from other units were very very ambiguous) and I cannot help being suspicious.

"We are planning to offer you a traineeship": does this mean that I am their first option? As far as I know, I could still only be Top 3 and they want to make sure everyone will be available for them before choosing one person.

"Another Commission service has also shown interest in working with you": I don't get if this means that I have been booked by someone else or that I am on someone else's "top list".

I will call the TO right now, but I would appreciate it if someone who had a similar experience before would share it with me, I am going insane with this people xD.

Thank you and I hope you all started the year well Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi!

I didn't have the same experience, I wish!, but to me it seems like you are already booked by another unit, these ones want to book you, too, so they need you to state that you choose them over whoever booked you first.

They clearly state they are planning to offer you the traineeship in their unit, if you were just shortlisted, they would have made it less clear.

Please let us know what the TO tells you and if they mention the infamous "reservation list" again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeireO

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I could not reach the TO on time (Friday evening...). I called half of the Commission looking for their phone number, but apparently they don't have one. I sent them an email and hope they will answer on Monday morning, I will let you guys know what terminology they use Wink. However, I guess I will accept this offer-looking thing from the unit that sent me the email and see what happens!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
olmons

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi Leire,

I do think they're offering you a traineeship in their unit if you accept. And it also seems like another unit is also offering you a traineeship.
Calling the person who contacted you is usually quite helpful; you could just ask them directly. It depends on who you talk to, but they're usually quite nice and understand your situation. If you don't know which other unit selected you and would like to know before making your choice, the HR unit of the DG you got the offer from should be able to tell you. I think you can find their number on the "eu who is who". Good luck, and congrats i guess!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeireO

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Smile

Well, I sent an email saying that I would like to work with them. Now the only thing left to do is to "patiently" wait until they get back to me!

I tried calling all units that contacted me, unfortunately it was already Friday evening and I could only reach one of them, who was not the one having chosen me. I still don't get why some units book people without letting us clearly know we have been chosen. I kind of got an informal oral offer on a phone call before Christmas, but I really don't feel comfortable waiting for them to keep that promise without having anything written down... Anyway...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeireO

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi again! So as promised, here my experience contacting the TO:

I sent them an email telling them that I had been made an offer by one unit but that apparentlty I had been booked by another unit before. I asked if they could inform me who had been the unit having booked me. The response was, in short, that they do not participate in the selection process at this point and that they could not give me any info. Apparently, they are not so willing to share anything wth us now, even if some weeks ago they seemed to give more concrete answers.

The funny part of this is that in fact THREE UNITS had wanted to book me, so in the end, the TO actually had to take part in the process and contact me asking which unit I wanted to work for. This could have been much easier had they been clear from the beginning, but I doubt I am the only person in a similar situation, so they don't seem to care.

The good news is that I got in Very Happy. Good luck to the rest!!!!! Hope to see you in Brussels Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cristina

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi! I got exactly the same message about this famous "reservation list" but I don't understand if it means that we're selected or just in a reserve list. Anyone got any news about it?
Thank you a lot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi!

nope, no definite answer. But as I have posted above (see excerpts from the traineeship scheme evaluation), it looks like only the final selection gets passed on to the TO. I am inclined to believe the "reservation list" is a list of selected candidates for the various units of a DG.

To make it all even more confusing, I received a phone call today from a new unit. They asked me if I was still available and I told them I didn't know for sure, because of this whole "reservation list" situation, to which they told me they are now just shortlisting the candidates and their HR people will then check what is their status in the VBB.

So, it looks like some units are still making their choices, and I had the feeling they were in a hurry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shai1

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 am

Hi again everyone! I also sent an email to the Traineeships Office and I got a response saying the DGs are in the process of selecting their trainees, and the TO does not get involved but remains responsible only for the final placement offers which will begin to be sent 23rd Jan onwards.

Didn't get told I was on any reserve list or anything like many others who've emailed them.

The next day I got an email from someone I'd emailed during the lobbying process who wrote he's forwarding my CV to the Head of Recruitment of the unit and wishes me luck. I'm a non-EU applicant and haven't been contacted by anyone at all yet. But it seems as if the selections haven't all been made yet then...

Don't know what to make of it all really.. And the deadline for Oct applications is already 31st Jan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cristina

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi guys, did anyone receive an official offer from any DG? I was contacted in December, but nothing then. So, I wonder if anyone was selected by DG DEVCO, EEAS or TRADE? (My choices). Thank you for this super useful blog Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eskl

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello,

Before Christmas I received a call from one Unit saying they booked me as number one, and then emails from 2 other units saying they wanted me, but I understood that somehow on their system they saw that I was book already.

I did not received anything else afterwards and assume that everything is fine and just need to wait for a confirmation. I really hope this is the case because otherwise my plans are really screwed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ele55but

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm

eskl wrote:
Hello,

Before Christmas I received a call from one Unit saying they booked me as number one, and then emails from 2 other units saying they wanted me, but I understood that somehow on their system they saw that I was book already.

I did not received anything else afterwards and assume that everything is fine and just need to wait for a confirmation. I really hope this is the case because otherwise my plans are really screwed!

Hello,

I am in the same position. As far as I am concerned, early next week we will know the final result.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Yes, January 23 onwards is what a lot of candidates have been told.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ele55but

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:36 pm

xvero wrote:
Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
limawe

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:22 pm

xvero wrote:

I was in contact with the Traineeship Office last week and it seems like they might send some information this week already. "All candidates will receive a notification as of next week, the following one at the latest."

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xvero

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Sounds even better, thank you for sharing. It's true an automatic reply from the general traineeship e-mail of one DG back in December stated January 20, but January 23 is the most common date I've come across so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Federico93BM

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 am

Anyone applied and got selected for the European Parliament too? What will you do if the Commission sends you an offer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
abcdefg

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Federico93BM wrote:
Anyone applied and got selected for the European Parliament too? What will you do if the Commission sends you an offer?

I did, and was wondering the same thing...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lobbying/Emails/Interviews   

Back to top Go down

Lobbying/Emails/Interviews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next